Integrating Using Arctan: Solving for the Integral of 1/(x^2+11x+29)

  • Thread starter Thread starter jumbogala
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
jumbogala
Messages
414
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Integrate
1/(x2 +11x +29)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I'm doing something wrong, but can't figure out what...

Complete the square so that the denominator equals (x+2)2+25

Then divide by 25: ((x+2)2)/25 + 1

Move that 25 into the squared part: ((x+2)/5)2+1

Substitute the squared part for u.

Find du/dx = 1/5, and therefore 5du=dx

Now we have 5*(integral sign) du / (u2+1)

This gives 5arctan(u)+C --> substitute u back for what you had before.

But the answer is 1/5arctan(u). Where did I go wrong?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you "divide by 25", where does that 25 go?
 
Oops, I was focusing so much on the denominator, I forgot about the numerator. This is what happens when yiou do math late at night, haha.

Thanks!
 
You can't just divide by something and expect the answer to be unchanged. Once you have 1/((x+5)^2+25) why not just substitute (x+5)=5*u?
 
how about x+2 = 5tanu to make life easier