1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Using Trigonometric Substitution

1. Aug 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the method of trigonometric substitution to evaluate the following:

[itex]\int\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

The only relevant equation that I could think of for this one was the trig identity:

[itex]sin^{2}\vartheta + cos^{2}\vartheta = 1[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is what I got from trying this problem:

[itex]\int\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}}[/itex]

[itex]\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}[/itex] is a difference between two squares, so it's a leg of a right triangle. So I let [itex]4sin\vartheta = \sqrt{4-9x^{2}}[/itex] to satisfy the definition of sine (Opposite Side over Hypotenuse).

Then, I let [itex]x^{2} = \frac{4}{9}cos\vartheta[/itex] to satisfy the definition of cosine.

Differentiating this same function with respect to [itex]x[/itex], I got:

[itex]\frac{\frac{-2}{9}sin\vartheta}{\sqrt{\frac{4}{9}cos\vartheta}}[/itex]

Substituting these into the original function:

[itex]\int{\frac{\frac{4}{9}cos\vartheta}{4sin\vartheta} \times \frac{\frac{-2}{9}sin\vartheta}{\sqrt{\frac{4}{9}cos\vartheta}}d\vartheta}[/itex]

[itex]\int{\frac{\frac{4}{9}cos\vartheta}{4sin\vartheta} \times \frac{\frac{-2}{9}sin\vartheta}{\frac{2}{3}\sqrt{cos\vartheta}}d\vartheta}[/itex]

[itex]\int{\frac{1}{9} \times \frac{cos\vartheta}{sin\vartheta} \times \frac{-1}{3} \times \frac{sin\vartheta}{\sqrt{cos\vartheta}}d\vartheta}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-1}{27}\int{\frac{cos\vartheta}{\sqrt{cos\vartheta}}d\vartheta}[/itex]

At this point, I got stuck and didn't know what to do. I tried using a modified version of the identity above and just went on to see if I could get anywhere but failed.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2011 #2
    they hypotenuse is actually 2, remember c^2=a^2 + b^2, the other leg is actually 3x

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  4. Aug 6, 2011 #3
    I can't really see how you got these substitutions... A standard substitution for this problem would be [itex]x = \frac{2}{3}\cos\vartheta[/itex]

5. Aug 6, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It may help you to indicate that x is the variable of integration, by including dx in your integral: [itex]\displaystyle \int\frac{x^{2}}{\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}}\,dx\,.[/itex]

To elaborate on GreenPrint's post:

If [itex]\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}[/itex] is a leg of a right triangle, then the hypotenuse would likely be 2 and the other leg 3x.

As you say, sine is opposite over hypotenuse, so either [itex]\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{3x}{2}[/itex] or [itex]\displaystyle \sin(\theta)=\frac{\sqrt{4-9x^{2}}}{2}\,.[/itex]

cos(θ) is the other.

6. Aug 7, 2011 #5
    Just making info easier to understand.

[PLAIN]http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/4011/derpto.png [Broken]

Make sure you find dx to get dθ.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Aug 7, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you must have [itex]x= (2/9)cos(\vartheta)[/tex].

8. Aug 7, 2011 #7
    Oh wow. Okay. Yeah I know what I did wrong now. Thanks everyone!

I'm still a little confused about choosing which leg to be the radical though. Does it matter? I was taught to just put the radical term on the opposite side of the reference angle. But are there instances in which this won't work?

9. Aug 7, 2011 #8
    just think about it
    c^2 = a^+b^2

in order to get something in the form sqrt(z^2 - y^2)
    z can only equal one thing, the hypotenuse and y can be any leg

10. Aug 7, 2011 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it doesn't matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook