1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating Velocity When in Unit Vector Notation

1. Feb 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Say for example, a particles velocity was given by the following equation:

[itex]\vec{V}[/itex](t) = (2t2-4t3)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - (6t +3)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + 6[itex]\hat{k}[/itex]

If I wanted to find the displacement of the particle between t=1s and t=3s, could I just integrate like this?

[itex]\int \vec{V}[/itex]= (2t3/3 - t^4)[itex]\hat{i}[/itex] - (3t2 +3t)[itex]\hat{j}[/itex] + 6t [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] evaluated between 1.00 and 3.00

= (-63i)-36j + 18k)-(2/3-1)i+(6j)-6k= -63.3i - 30j + 12k.

Is this the correct way to do this?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

N/A

2. Relevant equations

N/A

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2014 #2
    Yep, that's correct.

As for why it's correct, suppose the particle's velocity was just 6i, so the distance is only changing in the i direction so you only integrate in that direction. Then if it's velocity was 6i + 3j, the total displacement is the same as moving the i component, then travelling in the j component separately.

The total displacement is just the vector sum, hence why your integration is correct.

4. Feb 5, 2014 #3
    So can you just treat each unit vector separately and integrate and evaluate each individually, then combine them all to find the displacement vector?

Thanks!

5. Feb 5, 2014 #4
    Yes, you can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted