1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integrating with respect to area? Past paper question

1. Jan 24, 2017 #1
    • New member has been reminded to fill out the Homework Help Template in future schoolwork threads
    This isn't exactly homework or coursework, it is a past paper question that I cannot find a solution to (my university doesn't like releasing answers for some reason unknown to me).
    The question is attached as an image (edit: the image displays while editing but not in the post, so I'll try to type it out):

uc?export=download&id=0B2XR9EE7g17JSFA5R3B6eTQ0LXc.png
    Question: Let A be the rectangle -2 ≤ x ≤ 2, -1 ≤ y ≤ 1. Evaluate ∫A x3 dA.

I attempted to solve this by parametising x and y in terms of a new variable t, such that x = 2t and y = t for -1 ≤ t ≤ 1. Then I used the fact that A = xy to obtain A = xy = 2t2 and dA = 4t dt. Substituting into the integral with limits -1 and 1 gave my a final answer of 64/5, but I lack confidence in my method and answer.
    Should I use a double integral? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any reason NOT to use a double integral.

BTW, what would you get from this integral? ##\int_{-1}^1 x^3 dx##

4. Jan 24, 2017 #3
    Zero :)
    I think I understand it now, I tried a double integral method earlier and it gave me zero and I thought that it was wrong, but after considering it properly I think that it's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted