Integrating with trig. substitution

In summary, the integral of dx/[(x2 - 2x + 2)2] can be solved by completing the square in the denominator and using a trig substitution of t = x-1. This results in the integral of cos2(u)du, which can be simplified using a trig identity to give the final solution of (1/2)u + 1/4sin(2u) + c, where u = tan-1(x-1).
raptik

Homework Statement

Integral of dx/[(x2 - 2x + 2)2]

Homework Equations

Trig substitution rules:
for expression sqrt(a2 - x2)
make x = asin(t) with -(pi/2) < t < (pi/2)

for sqrt(x2 - a2)
make x = asec(t) with 0< t < (pi/2)

and
for sqrt(a2 + x2)
make x = atan(t) with -(pi/2) < t < (pi/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

multiply out to get

integral dx/(x4 - 4x3 + 8x2 - 8x + 4)

...I'm really at a loss for what to do next. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expanding it is a bad idea. Complete the square the denominator. Then pick a trig substitution.

ok, so integral dx/[(x2 - 2x + 2))2] = integral dx/[((x-1)2 + 1)2]

t = x-1; dt = dx

integral dt/(t2 + 1)2

t = tan(u); dt = sec2(u)du

= integral sec2(u)du/(tan2(u) + 1)2

= integral sec2(u)du/(sec2(u))2 = integral du/sec2(u)

= integral cos2(u)du = 1/2 integral (1 + cos(2u))du

= (1/2)u + 1/4sin(2u) + c

...I hope I got all that right. But I still can't get it back in terms of x. I would use the triange knowing tan(u) = t/1 = opposite/adjacent, but the "2u" makes me a bit confused as to how to get back in terms of x.

sin(2u)=2*sin(u)*cos(u), it's a trig identity, yes? Try using that.

awsome! Figured it out. Thnx, Dick.

Related to Integrating with trig. substitution

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving square roots or expressions with a quadratic term. It involves substituting trigonometric functions for the variables in the integral to make it easier to solve.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is most commonly used when the integrand (the expression inside the integral) involves a square root or a quadratic term. It can also be used to simplify integrals involving rational functions.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric function to substitute?

The trigonometric function to substitute is chosen based on the form of the integrand. For example, if the integrand contains a2 − x2, where a is a constant, then the substitution x = a sin θ or x = a cos θ can be used.

4. What are the common trigonometric identities used in trigonometric substitution?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities in trigonometric substitution are the Pythagorean identities, which include sin2 θ + cos2 θ = 1, tan2 θ + 1 = sec2 θ, and cot2 θ + 1 = csc2 θ. Other common identities include the double angle formulas and the half angle formulas.

5. Are there any tips for integrating with trigonometric substitution?

Some tips for integrating with trigonometric substitution include choosing the appropriate trigonometric function to substitute, simplifying the integrand using trigonometric identities, and carefully applying the chain rule when differentiating trigonometric functions. It is also important to check the solution using the original substitution to ensure the integral has been solved correctly.