Integration by partial fractions

In summary, the problem is that the student is not understanding how to integrate a quadratic function. After the long division, he should use the remainder to find the answer.
Xcron
I started this section off quite well and I did very well on the problems where there are only linear factors but when I got to the problems with quadratic factors, I began getting wrong answers. I though that perhaps I would receive some advice or my error/mistake could be corrected if possible.

The problem is:
[tex]\int\frac{4x^4-43x^3+200x^2-442x+383}{(x-3)(x^2-6x+13)}dx[/tex]

It comes with a small help thing that says: [tex](x-3)(x^2-6x+13) =
x^3-9x^2+31x-39[/tex]

Ok so the first thing I did was use long division and I got [tex]4x-7[/tex] as the answer of the long division. Next I proceeded to do:
[tex]4x^4-43x^3+200x^2-442x+383 = A(x^2-6x+13) + (Cx+D)(x-3)[/tex].
Next, I plugged in 3 for the value of x so that I could solve for A and I got its value to be 5. Next, I plugged in 0 for the value of x so that I could get A and D alone and solve for D. I got its value to be -106, which is horribly wrong for some reason, I think. Next I plugged in 1 for the value of x and solved for C nd its value came out to be 75, which is also horribly wrong probably..I made a mistake somewhere in there I think...after that, I set up the new integral:
[/tex]\int\(4x-7+\frac{5}{x-3}+\frac{75x-106}{x^2-6x+13})dx[/tex].
I solved that and got my final answer to be:
[tex]2x^2-7x+5\ln|x-3|+\frac{75}{2}\ln|x^2-6x+13|+
\frac{119}{2}\arctan(\frac{x-3}{2})+C[/tex].

This answer is wrong and the correct answer is:
[tex]2x^2-7x+5\ln|x-3|+4\ln|x^2-6x+13|+
\frac{9}{2}\arctan(\frac{x-3}{2})+C[/tex].If I am making some kind of mistake, then I must be inherently making it because all my other answers to problems with quadratic factors is coming out wrong...please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have a remainder after you divide:
[tex]4 x - 7 + \frac{13 x^2 - 69 x + 10}{x^3 - 9 x + 31 - 39}[/tex]
That's an awfully tedious problem. :yuck:

Yes, I do have a remainder after I divide. After the long division, I have:
[tex]4 x - 7 + \frac{13 x^2 - 69 x + 110}{x^3 - 9 x^2 + 31x - 39}[/tex]

What do I do with it? I was just looking over that because I noticed something about it in the book, but I can't quite grasp what the remainder would be used for..

Last edited:
You'll want to split the remainder into partial fractions and then you can integrate everything.

Ok, I just tried that and I finally got the right answer...I guess that's what my error was. After the long division, I need to use the remainder..heh..

Last edited:
Upon further analysis, I realized that the answer is still wrong, this is why:

after the division and the [tex]a^2 + x^2[/tex] trig substitution, the integral is:
[tex]2x^2-7x+5\ln|x-3|+
\int\frac{16\tan\theta+24-15}{4\sec^2\theta}2\sec^2\theta d\theta[/tex]
then:
[tex]x^2-7x+5\ln|x-3|+8\ln|sec\theta|+\frac{9}{2}\theta[/tex]

The 8 in front of the natural log is supposed to be a four, anyone know why I have an 8?...

What is integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions is a method used to simplify and solve integrals of rational functions. It involves breaking down a complex fraction into smaller, simpler fractions, and then integrating each of these smaller fractions separately.

When is integration by partial fractions used?

Integration by partial fractions is typically used when the integral involves a rational function with a denominator that can be factored into linear and/or irreducible quadratic terms. It is also used to solve integrals that involve repeated factors in the denominator.

What are the steps for integration by partial fractions?

The steps for integration by partial fractions are as follows:

1. Factor the denominator of the rational function into linear and/or irreducible quadratic terms.
  2. Express the rational function as a sum of simpler fractions, each with a unique denominator.
  3. Determine the constants that will make the equation true by equating the coefficients of like terms on both sides.
  4. Integrate each of the simpler fractions separately.
  5. Combine the individual integrals to get the final solution.

What are the benefits of using integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions can make solving integrals of rational functions much simpler and more efficient. It also allows for the use of other integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, on each individual fraction, making the overall integration process easier.

Are there any limitations to integration by partial fractions?

Integration by partial fractions can only be used on rational functions with a specific type of denominator. It also requires some algebraic manipulation and can be time-consuming for more complex fractions. Additionally, it may not always give an exact solution, and further approximation may be needed.