1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by partial fractions

1. Jan 22, 2006 #1
    I started this section off quite well and I did very well on the problems where there are only linear factors but when I got to the problems with quadratic factors, I began getting wrong answers. I though that perhaps I would receive some advice or my error/mistake could be corrected if possible.

The problem is:

It comes with a small help thing that says: [tex](x-3)(x^2-6x+13) =

Ok so the first thing I did was use long division and I got [tex]4x-7[/tex] as the answer of the long division. Next I proceeded to do:
    [tex]4x^4-43x^3+200x^2-442x+383 = A(x^2-6x+13) + (Cx+D)(x-3)[/tex].
    Next, I plugged in 3 for the value of x so that I could solve for A and I got its value to be 5. Next, I plugged in 0 for the value of x so that I could get A and D alone and solve for D. I got its value to be -106, which is horribly wrong for some reason, I think. Next I plugged in 1 for the value of x and solved for C nd its value came out to be 75, which is also horribly wrong probably..I made a mistake somewhere in there I think...after that, I set up the new integral:
    I solved that and got my final answer to be:

This answer is wrong and the correct answer is:

If I am making some kind of mistake, then I must be inherently making it because all my other answers to problems with quadratic factors is coming out wrong...please help me.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2006 #2
    You should have a remainder after you divide:
    [tex]4 x - 7 + \frac{13 x^2 - 69 x + 10}{x^3 - 9 x + 31 - 39}[/tex]
    That's an awfully tedious problem. :yuck:
  4. Jan 22, 2006 #3
    Yes, I do have a remainder after I divide. After the long division, I have:
    [tex]4 x - 7 + \frac{13 x^2 - 69 x + 110}{x^3 - 9 x^2 + 31x - 39}[/tex]

What do I do with it? I was just looking over that because I noticed something about it in the book, but I can't quite grasp what the remainder would be used for..
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  5. Jan 22, 2006 #4
    You'll want to split the remainder into partial fractions and then you can integrate everything.
  6. Jan 22, 2006 #5
    Ok, I just tried that and I finally got the right answer...I guess that's what my error was. After the long division, I need to use the remainder..heh..
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  7. Jan 22, 2006 #6
    Upon further analysis, I realized that the answer is still wrong, this is why:

after the division and the [tex]a^2 + x^2[/tex] trig substitution, the integral is:
    \int\frac{16\tan\theta+24-15}{4\sec^2\theta}2\sec^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

The 8 in front of the natural log is supposed to be a four, anyone know why I have an 8?...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?