Integration by parts and improper integral

In summary, the integral in question is \int_{0}^{H}xsin(\frac{w}{x})cos(\frac{x}{w})cosh(\frac{H}{w})dx, and it is an improper integral. It is possible to use integration by parts, but it does not seem to lead to a closed form solution. The cosh term can be simplified since it is a constant. However, the remaining term does not seem to have a closed form solution. It may be possible to solve numerically for specific values of H and w.
David Fishber
I would like to solve the following integral but I am unsure of the best way to solve it:
[itex]\int_{0}^{H}xsin(\frac{w}{x})cos(\frac{x}{w})cosh(\frac{H}{w})dx[/itex]

Is it possible to use integration by parts??

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Note 1: this is an improper integral so even if we find antiderivatives we'll need to figure out if the integral exists. Although a couple quick graphs seem to indicate that the discontinuity is removable so we're probably okay.

Note 2: Well the cosh term doesn't matter (assuming w is independent of x) so that's the first simplification. I took a stab at it letting dv=cos(x/w) and u=xsin(w/x) and obtained:

[tex]
wx\sin(\frac{x}{w})\sin(\frac{w}{x})|_0^H-\int_0^H w\sin(\frac{x}{w})\sin(\frac{w}{x})-\frac{w^2}{x}\sin(\frac{x}{w})\cos(\frac{w}{x})
[/tex]

I don't think this is going to go anywhere however. Do you need an exact value or just some approximate values? Are there any constraints on H?

I would set H=w=1 and solve numerically
Then repeat for 2 and so on.
I do not think an AntiDerivative can be found for this integrand, but I am not sure about that.

David Fishber said:
I would like to solve the following integral but I am unsure of the best way to solve it:
[itex]\int_{0}^{H}xsin(\frac{w}{x})cos(\frac{x}{w})cosh(\frac{H}{w})dx[/itex]

Is it possible to use integration by parts??

Thanks in advance

[itex]cosh(\frac{H}{w})[/itex]

is a constant.

But the remaining term probably does not have a closed form solution.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals of products of functions. It involves breaking down a complex integral into smaller, more manageable parts in order to solve it.

2. How does integration by parts work?

Integration by parts involves using the product rule from differentiation to rewrite an integral in a different form. This allows us to integrate functions that we otherwise wouldn't be able to integrate using basic integration techniques.

3. What are the steps for integration by parts?

The steps for integration by parts are as follows:

1. Identify the functions involved in the integral and label them as u and dv.

2. Use the product rule to find the derivative of u and the antiderivative of dv.

3. Plug these values into the integration by parts formula: ∫ u dv = uv - ∫ v du.

4. Simplify the new integral and solve for the unknown integral.

4. What are improper integrals?

Improper integrals are integrals where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite or the integrand is unbounded at a point within the limits of integration. These types of integrals require special techniques to evaluate.

5. How do you handle improper integrals?

Improper integrals are handled by taking the limit as one or both of the limits of integration approach infinity. If the limit exists, then that value is considered to be the value of the integral. Otherwise, the integral is said to be divergent.