Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by parts help natural log hurry tired

1. Sep 9, 2008 #1
    Integrate the function. (3x)/(3x-2)

I am spose to use integration by parts but i don't know how to integrate 1/(3x-2). anybody help!?!?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2008 #2
    [tex]\int \frac{dx}{3x-2}[/tex] well, i dont know why ure supposed to use integ. by parts, since a nice subst. would work.

substitute 3x-2=u, then 3dx=du=> dx=du/3 so

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{3x-2}=\frac{1}{3}\int \frac{du}{u}=\frac{1}{3}ln|u|+c[/tex] now just go back to the original variable x.
  4. Sep 9, 2008 #3
    Well, i assume now that you were asked to use integ. by parts on the original function. but if you are not required to do so, there is a nice trick to avoid it ,so you will only need to use subst.
  5. Sep 9, 2008 #4
    I tried but it said the answer doesn't involve absolute value... :( the original problem was find the integral of >>> ln(3x-2)
  6. Sep 9, 2008 #5
    well, if you drop the absolute values, then you are assuming that 3x-2>0, otherwise that would not hold.
  7. Sep 9, 2008 #6
    But wait i asked to integrate (3x)/(3x-2) not dx/(3x-2)... hm... I am confused
  8. Sep 10, 2008 #7

Homework Helper

You should have told us so explicitly. Use integration by parts here, denote u=ln(3x-2). Find v and du, and then you'll have to integrate 3x/(3x-2) which you should do by first simplifying the expression by polynomial long division. And are you sure the answer doesn't have absolute signs? There is a ln in the answer is there not?
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  9. Sep 10, 2008 #8
    Yeah, but look here

[tex] \frac{3x}{3x-2}=\frac{3x-2+2}{3x-2}=\frac{3x-2}{3x-2}+\frac{2}{3x-2}=1+\frac{2}{3x-2}[/tex]

so all you need to integrate is what i already told you how!...lol....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?