Integration by Parts: x^2(2+x^3)^4, x(x^2+2)^5, xcosx

  • Thread starter Thread starter pinnacleprouk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integration
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
pinnacleprouk
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
Could you please confirm my answers as correct or incorrect, if incorrect please point out errors and assist in correcting errors.

Thanks in advance

Homework Statement



Intergrate the following functions with respect to x using recognition, substitution or intergration by parts:

x^2(2+x^3)^4

x(x^2+2)^5

xcosx

The Attempt at a Solution



1)
integral(x^2(2+x^3)^4)
put (2+x^3) =x
thus
3x^2dx = dz
or
x^2dx = dz/3

the integral becomes
integral(z^4dz)/3
= z^5/15
=(2+x^3)^5/15 + c

2)
integral(x(x^2+2)^5)
put x^2+2=z
or
2xdx = dz
thus
xdx = dz/2
integral(z^5/2)dz
= z^6/12+c
=(x^2+2)^6/12 + c

3) integral(xcosx)
x(sinx) - integral(sinx)
= -xsinx+cosx +c
 
Physics news on Phys.org
pinnacleprouk said:
Could you please confirm my answers as correct or incorrect, if incorrect please point out errors and assist in correcting errors.

Thanks in advance


Homework Statement



Intergrate the following functions with respect to x using recognition, substitution or intergration by parts:

x^2(2+x^3)^4

x(x^2+2)^5

xcosx


The Attempt at a Solution



1)
integral(x^2(2+x^3)^4)
put (2+x^3) =x
thus
3x^2dx = dz
or
x^2dx = dz/3

the integral becomes
integral(z^4dz)/3
= z^5/15
=(2+x^3)^5/15 + c

2)
integral(x(x^2+2)^5)
put x^2+2=z
or
2xdx = dz
thus
xdx = dz/2
integral(z^5/2)dz
= z^6/12+c
=(x^2+2)^6/12 + c

3) integral(xcosx)
x(sinx) - integral(sinx)
= -xsinx+cosx +c

You can test your final result using either mathematical software like Maple, Mathematica and or google Wolfram integrator it using the integration engine of Mathematica.
 
while I appreciate your reply, I would rather ask here to see if the steps taken are correct as well as the final result!

Thanks
 
pinnacleprouk said:
1)
integral(x^2(2+x^3)^4)
put (2+x^3) =x
thus...

I think you mean (2+x^3) = z

Last one is definitely correct and, albeit a little tedious, the other 2 can easily be confirmed by expanding the brackets and integrating directly.
 
pinnacleprouk said:
while I appreciate your reply, I would rather ask here to see if the steps taken are correct as well as the final result!

Thanks

Okay, but as you know which I learned yesterday its forbidden to reply with re-calculations to you.

2) and 3) are correct but you need to redo 1) using integration by parts and integration by substitution!