1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by separation of variables

1. Oct 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the technique involving variable separation, solve the following differential equation and use the initial condition to find the particular solution

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{y^{2}}[/itex] y(0) = 1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To be honest, could someone show me how to solve this one as I cannot seem to understand how to get to the book answer of y=(3t+1)[itex]^{1/3}[/itex] .

I understand that the y^2 should move to the left so that it becomes dy/y^2 but im not sure how to progress with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The y2 should be moved to the left side, but it doesn't become dy/y2.

What operation do you need to apply to both sides to get rid of the y2 in the denominator on the right?

4. Oct 10, 2013 #3
    You should separate the variables, first move to the left the squared term, then move dt, now you must integrate don't forget the constant, now solve the equation for y. Y(0) it's a initial condition so when y = 0, t = 1, you should get a function with these conditions and this function ought to be the solution of the ODE.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted