Integration by substitution diff. eq.

In summary: The integral of 4x is readily evaluated using the standard formula. The radical-substitution yields an incorrect answer, but the standard formula still works.
lordofpi

Homework Statement

From Larson, 9th Edition: Section 4.5. Solve the differential equation

[tex]\frac{\operatorname{d}y}{\operatorname{d}x}=4x+ \frac{4x}{\sqrt{16-x^2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I can get my book's answer, but not through doing things in the prescribed way, because I get a different answer following the section's guidelines and examples. Using those, I choose a variable [itex]u=16-x^2[/itex]. Taking the derivative, we obtain [itex]du=2x \ \operatorname{d}x[/itex]. Rearranging this to get a [itex]4x[/itex] factor, we have [tex]-2 \operatorname{d}u = 4x \operatorname{d}x[/tex].

Plugging this back into the differential equation and rearranging the d[itex]x[/itex] gives us:
[tex]
\int \operatorname{d}y = -2 \int \operatorname{d}u + (-2)\int u^\frac{-1}{2} \operatorname{d}u[/tex]

Now I wind up with [tex]y=-2u - 4\sqrt{u} + C[/tex]
Which, using substitution becomes [tex]2x^2-4\sqrt{16-x^2}-32+C[/tex], but the book's answer is [tex]2x^2 -4\sqrt{16-x^2} + C[/tex]

Now I can get this answer if I just take the integral of the first [itex]4x[/itex] and only use substitution for the second term, but I am not sure why my answers should be different. Unless it really doesn't matter and the 32 from my answer just becomes part of the constant of integration [itex]C[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's exactly what you think. The -32 can be absorbed into the C. Indefinite integrals can always have a constant added and they work just as well.

Thanks Dick. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if this were a definite integral? The same, I am assuming, since we would have to subtract -32 from -32?

lordofpi said:
Thanks Dick. Just out of curiosity, what would happen if this were a definite integral? The same, I am assuming, since we would have to subtract -32 from -32?

You wouldn't see the -32 in a definite integral, because again, as you say, it would cancel. That's why it's not important.

It's not necessary to use u-substitution to evaluate both integrals simultaneously.
The integral of 4x is readily evaluated using the standard formula. The u-substitution
can be used to evaluate the integral with the radical.

1. What is integration by substitution in differential equations?

Integration by substitution is a technique used to solve certain types of differential equations. It involves replacing a variable in the equation with a new variable, which simplifies the equation and makes it easier to integrate.

2. When is integration by substitution used?

Integration by substitution is typically used when the differential equation contains a term that can be expressed in terms of another variable. This substitution allows for the equation to be simplified and solved using traditional integration techniques.

3. What is the general process for integration by substitution?

The general process for integration by substitution involves three steps: identifying the substitution, performing the substitution, and solving the resulting equation. The substitution is typically chosen to eliminate a term or simplify the equation, and the new variable is then integrated to find the solution.

4. How do I choose the appropriate substitution for integration by substitution?

The appropriate substitution for integration by substitution is typically chosen by looking for a term in the equation that can be expressed in terms of another variable. This term should be replaced with the new variable, and the resulting equation should be easier to integrate.

5. Can integration by substitution be used for all types of differential equations?

No, integration by substitution is only applicable to certain types of differential equations. It is most commonly used for equations with separable variables, but may also be used for other types of equations with appropriate substitutions.