1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Trigonometric Substitution

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate:
    [tex]\int\frac{1}{(4 - \tan^2{x})^{3/2}}dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    I must integrate the above equation using only trigonometric subtitutions of algebraic equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is what I have so far:

[tex]Let \tan{(x)} = 2\sin{(\theta)}[/tex]

[tex]x = \tan^{-1}{(2\sin{(\theta)})}[/tex]

[tex]dx = \frac{4\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)}}{1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{1}{(4 - \tan^2{x})^{3/2}}dx = \int\frac{1}{(4 - (2\sin{(\theta)})^2)^{3/2}}\frac{4\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)}}{1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]= \frac{4}{8}\int\frac{\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)}}{(1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)})(1 - \sin^2{\theta)})^{3/2}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin{(\theta)}\cos{(\theta)}}{(1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)})\cos^3{(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sin{(\theta)}\sec^2{(\theta)}}{1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{\sec{(\theta)}\tan{(\theta)}}{1 + 4\sin^2{(\theta)}}d\theta[/tex]

I can't seem to integrate the final integral above. Can anybody help me get past this step or can anybody tell me if I've made a mistake. Thanks!
    -James

P.S. Sorry if it's messy!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2
    Sorry to reply to my own post but I've solved the problem and I do not know how to delete this. Thank you!
    -James

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Did the substitution you used work out? It doesn't look like it produced anything that would be useful.

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4
    Your substitution tanx = 2sinΘ doesn't look valid at all. I would have tried x = tanΘ. What did you get for your answer?

6. Aug 31, 2009 #5
    No actually I managed to waste a lot of time after I copied the problem down wrong from the book. I gues that doesn't change the fact that I still don't know how to integrate the problem I posted but it no longer matters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook