Integration given slope of tangent at specific point

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the function f given that f''(x) = 12x^2 + 2 and the slope of the tangent line to its graph at (1,1) is 3. The process involves setting up equations using the definition of the derivative and solving for the two unknowns, c and d. The final answer is f(x) = x^4 + x^2 - 3x + 2. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of checking the solution by verifying that f''(x) is correct and that f(1) and f'(1) match the given conditions.
B18

Homework Statement

Find f if f"(x)=12x2+2 for which the slope of the tangent line to its graph at (1,1) is 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did first was found f(x)=x4+x2+cx+d (cx and d being constants of integration.) and from this point I attempted solving for cx and d but was stuck here. It may just be the wording of the problem but I'm not sure where else to go. How do I know what to set f(x) equal to in order to solve cx and d?

Thank you for any suggestions/help.

Physics news on Phys.org
"The tangent to the graph of f through the point (α,β) is τ" means:

(1) The graph of f passes through this point (α,β).
(2) The value of f'(x) for x=α is τ.

This gives you two equations, f(...)=... and f'(...)=..., and that's all you need to find the two unknowns, c and d in your case.

So once I find c and d I plug them into f(x). Which is my final answer. I managed to find c= -3 by solving f'(1)=3. When I go to solve d what am I setting f(x) equal to? I found f(x) to be x^4+x^2-3x+d. I set this equal to 3 and plugged in 1 for x and got d= 4 making my answer f(x)=x^4+x^2-3x+4 however that equal does not pass through the point (1,1)?

B18 said:
So once I find c and d I plug them into f(x). Which is my final answer. I managed to find c= -3 by solving f'(1)=3. When I go to solve d what am I setting f(x) equal to? I found f(x) to be x^4+x^2-3x+d. I set this equal to 3 and plugged in 1 for x and got d= 4 making my answer f(x)=x^4+x^2-3x+4 however that equal does not pass through the point (1,1)?

If you want your curve to pass through (1,1) you want to set f(1)=1. Not f(1)=3.

Ok my final answer is f(x)=x4+x2-3x+2. Does that seem correct?

B18 said:
You can check that quite easily by calculating f(1) and f'(1), which should be 1 and 3, respectively. (They are, so your solution is correct.)

Wonderful, thank you for the help guys.

B18 said:
Make that f(x)=x4+x2-3x+2.

To add to what Michael said, it's easy to check, and something you should get into the habit of doing. You've already done all the heavy lifting.

There are basically three things you need to check:
1. Is f''(x) = 12x2 + 2?
2. Is f(1) = 1?
3. Is f'(1) = 3?

If you can answer yes to all three, then your solution is correct.

Thank you mark. I just had a hard time remember what statements meant what. If that makes sense. I did do the check and they all worked out thanks again.

What is integration given slope of tangent at specific point?

Integration given slope of tangent at specific point is the process of finding the original function from the slope of its tangent line at a specific point. This is done by using the inverse operation of differentiation, which is integration.

Why is integration given slope of tangent at specific point important?

Integration given slope of tangent at specific point is important because it allows us to find the original function from its derivative. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics and engineering, where the derivative represents important physical quantities like velocity and acceleration.

How do you find the original function using integration given slope of tangent at specific point?

To find the original function, we first find the antiderivative of the given slope of the tangent line. Then, we add a constant term to account for all possible solutions. This gives us the general form of the original function. We can then use the given point to find the specific solution.

What are the different methods of integration given slope of tangent at specific point?

There are several methods for integration given slope of tangent at specific point, including substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the given slope of the tangent line and the original function.

What are some applications of integration given slope of tangent at specific point?

Integration given slope of tangent at specific point has various applications in science, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to find the position, speed, and acceleration of objects in physics, calculate areas and volumes in calculus, and solve differential equations in engineering. It is also used in data analysis and curve fitting in statistics.