Integrating \sqrt{1+u^2}: Help Needed

In summary, the conversation is about a user struggling to integrate a mathematical expression and seeking help. Another user suggests using hyperbolic functions as a substitution and provides steps for solving the integral. The first user then asks if they could use a different formula and the second user confirms it is possible. The conversation ends with a discussion about integrating a different function.
flash
Hi
I am trying to integrate:
[tex]
\sqrt{1+u^2}
[/tex]
It looks simple but it's causing me a lot of problems. I've tried substitution, and by parts but can't get it. Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try [tex]u=Sinh(v)\equiv\frac{e^{v}-e^{-v}}{2}[/tex]

You thereby get:
[tex]\frac{du}{dv}=Cosh(v)\equiv\frac{e^{v}+e^{-v}}{2}\to{du}=\Cosh(v)dv[/tex]

Since you may verify that the hyperbolic functions satisfy the identity [itex]Cosh^{2}(v)-Sinh^{2}(v)=1[/itex], your integral is readily transformed to:
[tex]\int\sqrt{1+u^{2}}du=\int\sqrt{1+Sinh^{2}(v)}Cosh(v)dv=\int{Cosh^{2}(v)}dv[/tex] which is easily integrated.

Thanks. So I have to use hyperbolic functions to do it?

I just dug this up...do you think I could use it?
[tex]
\int\sqrt{a^2+u^{2}}du=\frac{u}{2}\sqrt{a^2+u^2}+\frac{a^2}{2}ln |u + \sqrt{a^2+u^2}|
[/tex]

Sure you can.
Yields the same result. :smile:

To see that it is the same, let's compute the integral with hyperbolic substitution:

[tex]I=\int{C}osh^{2}(v)dv=Sinh(v)Cosh(v)-\int{S}inh^{2}(v)dv=Sinh(v)Cosh(v)-\int(Cosh^{2}(v)-1)dv=[/tex]
[tex]Sinh(v)Cosh(v)+v-\int{C}osh^{2}(v)dv=Sinh(v)Cosh(v)+v-I[/tex]

That is, we have the expression:
[tex]I=Sinh(v)Cosh(v)+v-I[/tex]
yielding:
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}Sinh(v)Cosh(v)+\frac{1}{2}v[/tex]

Now, we have [tex]v=Sinh^{-1}(u)[/tex]

Using the identity:
[tex]Cosh^{2}(y)-Sinh^{2}(y)=1[/tex]
we get [tex]Cosh(Sinh^{-1}(u))=\sqrt{1+u^{2}}[/tex]
since we have, of course [tex]Sinh(Sinh^{-1}(u))=u[/tex]

Thus, our first term may be rewritten as:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}Sinh(v)Cosh(v)=\frac{u}{2}\sqrt{1+u^{2}}[/tex]

Using the exponential representation of the the hyperbolic sine, you should have little trouble representing the inverse function of hypsine in terms of the natural logarithm.
That constitutes the second term in the formula you found.

Last edited:
Awesome. Thanks heaps for your help! I should be right to do it now.

Basically there are 2 ways of doing this integral: A normal trig substitution, u= tan x, or the hyperbolic trig one arildno suggested. The hyperbolic one is faster, but unless you are familiar with hyperbolic trig functions it is harder to spot when to use them as a substitution. They used a more general substitution for the formula you gave: u= a tan x.

Does anyone know any tricks or how to integrate this function from negative inf to positive inf?
[tex]
\int\\sinc( 2*pi*W*(t - k/(2*W)) ) * sinc( 2*pi*W*(t - j/(2*W)) )dt
[/tex]

Thanks.

The normalized or unnormalized sinc function?

1. What is the purpose of integrating √(1+u^2)?

The purpose of integrating √(1+u^2) is to find the area under the curve of the function y = √(1+u^2). This area represents the total change in the value of the function over a certain interval.

2. What is the process for integrating √(1+u^2)?

The process for integrating √(1+u^2) involves using substitution, specifically u = tan(x), to convert the function into a form that can be easily integrated. This is known as the trigonometric substitution method.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when integrating √(1+u^2)?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to use the chain rule when taking the derivative of the substituted function. It is also important to carefully substitute for u and not mix up the constants of integration.

4. Can the integral of √(1+u^2) be solved without substitution?

Yes, there are other methods for integrating √(1+u^2) such as using trigonometric identities or integration by parts. However, the substitution method is often the most efficient and straightforward approach.

5. How can integrating √(1+u^2) be applied in real-life situations?

Integrating √(1+u^2) can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to find the displacement or velocity of an object, determine the area under a velocity-time graph, or calculate the total profit or loss in a business over a certain period of time.