Integration in cylindrical coordinates

In summary,The Attempt at a SolutionI just need to understand what the integral is asking for in order to attempt it. I'm having some trouble working with cylindrical coordinates in the way it's defined in my field theory book.Sorry, but neither of these questions really make a lot of sense. E.g. for the second one you need to integrate a vector along a definite path in the coordinate space. Just saying phi goes from 0 to pi/2 doesn't define a path. Unlike in cartesian coordinates the value of a_rho depends on where you are. I'm hopeless confused.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

In cyclindrical coordinates we can represent points as ([tex]\rho[/tex],[tex]\phi[/tex],z)

We define a vector in cyclindrical coordinates as follows

A = A[tex]\rho[/tex]a[tex]\rho[/tex] + A[tex]\phi[/tex]a[tex]\phi[/tex] + Azaz

I'm having some problem with subscripts.

Anyway I don't understand this.

If I am given a point say ( 5, 20 deg, 4)

Without writing

x = [tex]\rho[/tex]cos[tex]\phi[/tex]
y = [tex]\rho[/tex]sin[tex]\phi[/tex]

And then transforming to back to cylindrical coordinates...

How can I determine A[tex]\rho[/tex], A[tex]\phi[/tex]
And my prof gave us a review question for vector calculus but I don't seem to understand the question geometrically.

It says [tex]\int [/tex]a[tex]\rho[/tex]d[tex]\phi[/tex] from 0 to pi/2

having a bit of trouble with the latex.

Anyway the function in the integral is the unit vector a[tex]\rho[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to understand what the integral is asking for in other to attempt it. I'm having some trouble working with cylindrical coordinates in the way it's defined in my field theory book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but neither of these questions really make a lot of sense. E.g. for the second one you need to integrate a vector along a definite path in the coordinate space. Just saying phi goes from 0 to pi/2 doesn't define a path. Unlike in cartesian coordinates the value of a_rho depends on where you are. I'm hopeless confused.

Dick said:
Sorry, but neither of these questions really make a lot of sense. E.g. for the second one you need to integrate a vector along a definite path in the coordinate space. Just saying phi goes from 0 to pi/2 doesn't define a path. Unlike in cartesian coordinates the value of a_rho depends on where you are. I'm hopeless confused.
Well this is the integral we were given to evaluate. I am also hopelessly confused which is why I'm asking the question.

I provided images if they help . Can you just point me in the right direction if you can!Or can you direct me to a book with gives a through consideration of cylindrical Coordinates my book is a piece of crap and my multivarible cal book did not cover cylindrical in this manner it was more straight forward in it's approach.

Attachments

• integrals.jpg
    integrals.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 385
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
Ok. Maybe they mean you convert the vector to Cartesian coordinates and then just integrate? a_rho=(cos(phi),sin(phi),0). Just integrate component by component. The result will an Cartesian vector if the integrand is a vector - a scalar if it's not.

HI ╔(σ_σ)╝! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a phi: φ and a degree: º and an integral: ∫ and type "itex" instead of "tex" to get the LaTeX in-line :wink:)
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
If I am given a point say ( 5, 20 deg, 4)

How can I determine A[tex]\rho[/tex], A[tex]\phi[/tex]

You need two points for a vector.

The vectors in your questions do not start from the origin, they start from eg (5, 20º, 4).

aφ etc are different unit vectors at each point.

To evaluate eg ∫0π/2 aρ dφ,

you go round the curve (you haven't said what it is … is it a circle of radius ρ? :confused:), integrating the different "radial" unit vector aρ for each point on the curve. :smile:

Dick said:
Ok. Maybe they mean you convert the vector to Cartesian coordinates and then just integrate? a_rho=(cos(phi),sin(phi),0). Just integrate component by component. The result will an Cartesian vector if the integrand is a vector - a scalar if it's not.

Okay thanks. I don't know why the prof defined the integral is such a way. My next question is what is the interpretation of this integral ? The area under what ?

dφ and aρ are orthogonal to each other because dφ is in the same direction as aφ

tiny-tim said:
HI ╔(σ_σ)╝! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a phi: φ and a degree: º and an integral: ∫ and type "itex" instead of "tex" to get the LaTeX in-line :wink:)You need two points for a vector.

The vectors in your questions do not start from the origin, they start from eg (5, 20º, 4).

aφ etc are different unit vectors at each point.

To evaluate eg ∫0π/2 aρ dφ,

you go round the curve (you haven't said what it is … is it a circle of radius ρ? :confused:), integrating the different "radial" unit vector aρ for each point on the curve. :smile:

okay I understand what you mean. What about if I have two points say (5,45º,2) and (4,25º, 1) without using the equations:

x= pcosφ
y = psinφ

To find the cartisian equivalent how can I determine
[tex]A\upshape\rho[/tex] and [tex]A\upshape\phi[/tex] to present the vector from (4,25º, 1) to (5,45º,2) in the form

Aρaρ+ Aφaφ + Azaz.

I am aware that to represent a position vector only two unit vectors are needed namely,aρand az because the unit vector aρ depends on the position of the unit vector aφ

As for the integration my real question is what exactly does this integrand mean... I mean we intepret an integral as the area under a curve but how can I interpret this ?

I understand that depending on the angle [tex]\phi[/tex] the oriendtation of the unit vector aφchanges which in turn change aρ because they are mutually orthogonal.

Last edited:
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
… what is the interpretation of this integral ? The area under what ?

As for the integration my real question is what exactly does this integrand mean... I mean we intepret an integral as the area under a curve but how can I interpret this ?

An integral only works as an area if all the vectors are in the same direction.

aρ, for example, keeps changing direction.

There isn't really a geometrical way of understanding a vector integral along a curve (though I suppose you could imagine all the aρs being moved to the same point, and then added together vectorially).
I am aware that to represent a position vector only two unit vectors are needed namely,aρand az because the unit vector aρ depends on the position of the unit vector aφ

Sorry, I don't really understand that, but it's wrong anyway …

you always need three unit vectors to specify a position vector in a 3D space.
What about if I have two points say (5,45º,2) and (4,25º, 1) without using the equations:

x= pcosφ
y = psinφ

To find the cartisian equivalent how can I determine
[tex]A\upshape\rho[/tex] and [tex]A\upshape\phi[/tex] to present the vector from (4,25º, 1) to (5,45º,2) in the form

Aρaρ+ Aφaφ + Azaz.

You have to choose where the vector is "anchored" … if it's anchored at the first point, you use the unit vectors of that first point, and express the vector in components of those unit vectors.

tiny-tim said:
Sorry, I don't really understand that, but it's wrong anyway …

you always need three unit vectors to specify a position vector in a 3D space.
Yes you are right I was referring to something else but that is of little importance.

You have to choose where the vector is "anchored" … if it's anchored at the first point, you use the unit vectors of that first point, and express the vector in components of those unit vectors.

Can you perhaps elaborate a bit more ? Perhaps an example ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "use the unit vectors of that first point, and express the vector in components of those unit vectors".

An quick example would be highly appreciated because I always convert back to cartesian find the position vector and then back to cylindrical coordinates which is a daunting and involving task .

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "use the unit vectors of that first point, and express the vector in components of those unit vectors".

The three unit vectors at one point form an i j k frame.

You have to write the vector as ai + bj + ck.

(You do not "convert back" to cylindrical coordinates, you leave it like that.)

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
okay I understand what you mean. What about if I have two points, say (5, 45º, 2) and (4, 25º, 1), without using the equations:

x=pcosφ
y=psinφ

To find the cartesian equivalent, how can I determine [tex]A_\rho[/tex] and [tex]A_\phi[/tex] to present the vector from (4, 25º, 1) to (5, 45º,2) in the form

[tex]A_\rho{a_\rho}+A_\phi{a_\phi}+A_z{a_z}[/tex].
Perhaps a simpler example would help. Suppose you have the vector [tex]\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y,v_z)=(1,2,3)[/tex] located at the point [tex]\vec{x}=(x,y,z)=(0,4,0)[/tex]. The point [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is represented in cylindrical coordinates as [tex](r,\phi,z)=(4, \pi/2, 0)[/tex], and the three cylindrical unit vectors for that point, represented in Cartesian coordinates, would be

[tex]\hat{a}_\rho = (0,1,0)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}_\phi = (-1,0,0)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}_z = (0,0,1)[/tex]

The representation of the vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in cylindrical coordinates would be given by

[tex]A_\rho = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\rho = 2[/tex]
[tex]A_\phi = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\phi = -1[/tex]
[tex]A_z = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_z = 3[/tex]

or [tex]\vec{v}=2 \hat{a}_\rho - \hat{a}_\phi + 3 \hat{a}_z[/tex].

Suppose instead that the [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] was anchored at the point [tex]\vec{y}=(1,1,0)[/tex], which in cylindrical coordinates is [tex](\sqrt{2},\pi/4,0)[/tex]. This time you'd have

[tex]\hat{a}_\rho = (1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}_\phi = (-1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)[/tex]

and

[tex]A_\rho = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\rho = 3/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]A_\phi = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\phi = 1/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]A_z = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_z = 3[/tex].

tiny-tim said:
The three unit vectors at one point form an i j k frame.

You have to write the vector as ai + bj + ck.

(You do not "convert back" to cylindrical coordinates, you leave it like that.)
Thanks for all your help thus far ! It's highly appreciated.

I think I understand what you are getting at, with the help of vela example. :D

vela said:
Perhaps a simpler example would help. Suppose you have the vector [tex]\vec{v}=(v_x,v_y,v_z)=(1,2,3)[/tex] located at the point [tex]\vec{x}=(x,y,z)=(0,4,0)[/tex]. The point [tex]\vec{x}[/tex] is represented in cylindrical coordinates as [tex](r,\phi,z)=(4, \pi/2, 0)[/tex], and the three cylindrical unit vectors for that point, represented in Cartesian coordinates, would be

[tex]\hat{a}_\rho = (0,1,0)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}_\phi = (-1,0,0)[/tex]

The representation of the vector [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] in cylindrical coordinates would be given by

[tex]A_\rho = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\rho = 2[/tex]
[tex]A_\phi = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\phi = -1[/tex]
[tex]A_z = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_z = 3[/tex]

or [tex]\vec{v}=2 \hat{a}_\rho - \hat{a}_\phi + 3 \hat{a}_z[/tex].

Suppose instead that the [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] was anchored at the point [tex]\vec{y}=(1,1,0)[/tex], which in cylindrical coordinates is [tex](\sqrt{2},\pi/4,0)[/tex]. This time you'd have

[tex]\hat{a}_\rho = (1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)[/tex]
[tex]\hat{a}_\phi = (-1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)[/tex]

and

[tex]A_\rho = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\rho = 3/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]A_\phi = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_\phi = 1/\sqrt{2}[/tex]
[tex]A_z = \vec{v}\cdot\hat{a}_z = 3[/tex].
Okay I see , it's pretty much using the transformation matrix... perfect.

So you represent the point using the coordintes of the initial point. Besically you fix your coordinate system to make it stationary.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for converting a triple integral from rectangular to cylindrical coordinates?

The conversion formula is:

∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dxdydz = ∫∫∫f(rcosθ, rsinθ, z)rdrdθdz

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

The limits of integration for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates depend on the shape of the region being integrated. The limits for r, θ, and z are determined by the curves or surfaces that bound the region. It is important to sketch the region and identify the curves or surfaces to properly set up the integral.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

Sure, let's solve the triple integral ∫∫∫(x^2+y^2+z^2)dV over the region bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=4 and the planes z=0 and z=2 in cylindrical coordinates.

First, we rewrite the integral in cylindrical form:
∫∫∫(r^2+z^2)rdrdθdz

Next, we determine the limits of integration. Since the region is bounded by the cylinder x^2+y^2=4, we have 0≤r≤2. The planes z=0 and z=2 give us 0≤z≤2. And the angle θ goes from 0 to 2π.

Plugging in these limits, the integral becomes:
∫0^2 ∫0^2π ∫0^2 (r^3+z^2)rdrdθdz

Evaluating the inner integral first, we get:
∫0^2 ∫0^2π (r^4/4 + z^2r) dθdz

Then evaluating the middle integral, we get:
∫0^2 (πr^4/4 + πz^2r) dz

Finally, evaluating the outer integral, we get:
(8π/3) + (4π/3) = 4π.

Therefore, the triple integral is equal to 4π.

4. How do you handle a function with a constant coefficient in a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

If the function has a constant coefficient, it can be factored out of the integral and evaluated separately. For example, if we have the integral ∫∫∫(2x+y^2+z)dV in cylindrical coordinates, we can write it as:

2∫∫∫(x)dV + ∫∫∫(y^2)dV + ∫∫∫(z)dV

The constants 2 and 1 can be factored out, and the remaining integrals can be solved separately.

5. Can you use cylindrical coordinates to solve a double integral?

Yes, cylindrical coordinates can also be used to solve double integrals. The conversion formula is:

∫∫f(x,y)dA = ∫∫f(rcosθ, rsinθ)rdrdθ

The limits of integration would depend on the shape of the region being integrated, similar to the triple integral case. It is important to sketch the region and identify the curves or surfaces to properly set up the integral.