Integration, Limits, and e^(x)

In summary, the person is struggling to integrate the function e^(t^2) and is looking for a different way to approach the problem. They mention that a kick in the right direction would be helpful.
Krishan93
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/4765/img0161u.jpg

I don't know how to integrate e^(t^2) like that. I am thinking that it become e^(t^2+1) with some constant in front of the whole expression.

And then with A) I just don't know how to begin.

A kick in the right direction would help. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't integrate it to get a closed form expression, so you need to figure out a different way of evaluating those limits. You'll likely want to make use of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

Yeah...I'm still stumped.
I don't know how to do this one, let alone apply the fundamental theorem.

How should one come about the solution to these problems?

What do you get if you try applying L'Hopital's rule to the first one?

How do you know to use Lhopitals rule?
Whats the rule when you're dealing with infinity-I already know the 0/0, just not infinity.

Deriving top and bottom expression should yield
xe^(x^2)+F(x)
x^2(e^(x^2))(2x) <-- (chain rule, right?)

L'Hopital's rule can be used when you have indeterminate forms. 0/0 is one such form; ∞/∞ is another.

The denominator would be correct without the x2 in front. When you differentiate the exponential, you get the exponential, and then the chain rule gives you the factor of 2x. You end up with
[tex]\frac{xe^{x^2}+F(x)}{2xe^{x^2}} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{F(x)}{2xe^{x^2}}[/tex]When you try to take the limit now, the second term is again ∞/∞, so you need to apply L'Hopital's rule on it.

Krishan93 said:
How do you know to use Lhopitals rule?
Whats the rule when you're dealing with infinity-I already know the 0/0, just not infinity.

Deriving top and bottom expression should yield
xe^(x^2)+F(x)
x^2(e^(x^2))(2x) <-- (chain rule, right?)

Assuming you're working with the (a), the derivative of the denominator is incorrect.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}e^{x^2}=2xe^{x^2}[/itex]

You can show that F(x) diverges when x grows to +infinity, hence you're allowed to use differentiation (required by L'Ho^pital's rule) when computing those limits.

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation, which involves finding the slope of a curve. Integration is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How are limits used in integration?

Limits are used in integration to determine the boundaries of the area being calculated. The upper and lower limits of integration define the range over which the area is being calculated. By taking smaller and smaller limits, the accuracy of the integration can be improved.

3. What is the significance of e^(x) in integration?

e^(x) is the exponential function that is commonly used in integration. It is a special function that is its own derivative, making it useful in solving integrals. It is also commonly used to model growth and decay in many real-world situations.

4. How is e^(x) used to solve integrals?

e^(x) is used in integration through a technique called substitution. This involves replacing a part of the integral with the exponential function, which makes it easier to solve. Additionally, e^(x) can be integrated using the power rule, as it is a special case of x^(n).

5. Are there any limitations to using e^(x) in integration?

There are some limitations to using e^(x) in integration. It can only be used for certain types of functions, such as exponential and trigonometric functions. It also cannot be used for functions that are not continuous or have discontinuities. In such cases, other integration techniques may be required.