1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Integration of a natural log and polynomial

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the integral when x > 0:

indefinite integral of ln(x2+19x+84)dx

2. Relevant equations

I know I need to use some form of integration by parts: integral of u*dv=uv-(integral of(du*v))

3. The attempt at a solution

I began by making u=ln(x2+19x+84) and dv=dx. Thus, (after u-substitution) du=(2x+19)/(x2+19x+84) and v=x.

After putting that in the formula, we get x*ln(x2+19x+84)-(integral of)((2x2+19x)/(x2+19x+84)). After simplifying that, I get:

But according to the program I am using, that is the incorrect answer. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2
    Why not just factor the quadratic, then split up the integral into two simpler log terms then use:

[tex]\int ln(u)du=u\ln(u)-u[/tex]
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    Hmm, by infinite do you mean definite integral from 0 to infinity? If so, it's clearly divergent.
  5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    No, sorry, I meant the indefinite integral.
  6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    Thanks Jackmell. I tried that method and it worked. (A lot easier than the method I was using.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook