Integration of a Sine function and a fraction

In summary, the student attempted to solve a long word problem using the reverse chain rule and the chain rule, but was incorrect.
longhorn2010

Homework Statement

It is a really long word problem, but I only need help with integrating one part of the proble.

Homework Equations

I need to know how to integrate 2+5sin((4*pi*x)/(25))

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the chain rule by first integrating the sin into negative cosine, and then integrating the inside, giving me: 2x-cos((4*pi*x)/(25))*(2*pi*x^2)/(25)

Sorry, I don't know how to do all the symbols, or any of them really.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, not quite. Do a u substitution. u=4*pi*x/25, du=4*pi*dx/25.

Here's your integral in latex tags, and split into two integrals.
[tex]
\int 2dx + 5sin(\frac{4 \pi x}{25})dx
[/tex]

The first integral gives you 2x + a constant.

Your explanation of using the reverse chain rule and your work are incorrect. You don't integrate the sine part, and then integrate what's inside. This isn't how it works. If it were, you could differentiate your answer and get back to the integrand you started with.

Use an ordinary substitution u = [itex]4/25 \pi x[/itex], so du = [itex]4/25 \pi dx[/itex]. Once you get this in place, your integral will be [itex]\int 5sin(u)du[/itex], which is pretty straightforward to do.

Mark44 said:
Here's your integral in latex tags, and split into two integrals.
[tex]
\int 2dx + 5sin(\frac{4 \pi x}{25})dx
[/tex]

The first integral gives you 2x + a constant.

Your explanation of using the reverse chain rule and your work are incorrect. You don't integrate the sine part, and then integrate what's inside. This isn't how it works. If it were, you could differentiate your answer and get back to the integrand you started with.

Use an ordinary substitution u = [itex]4/25 \pi x[/itex], so du = [itex]4/25 \pi dx[/itex]. Once you get this in place, your integral will be [itex]\int 5sin(u)du[/itex], which is pretty straightforward to do.

Thanks for the explanation. I just want to confirm though, that the integral should be
-5cos(du), right?

The integral is -5*cos(u). Not du. But don't forget the factors that are coming from changing dx to du. Why don't you just do it and we'll check your answer?

So would the answer then be -5cos((2*pi*x^2)/(25))?

No again. Can you show us how you worked that out using the substitution u=4*pi*x/25?

I tried to integrate the part after the cosine. I took out the "x" and got (x^2)/(2) and then multiplied it back into the (4*pi)/(25), and simplified it to (2*pi*x^2)/(25).

Do I instead not bother with the inside of the cosine, and just leave it as is, as in (4*pi*x)/(25)?

You just substitute. You have integral 5sin(4*pi*x/25)*dx. u=4*pi*x/25. du=(4*pi)dx/25. That gives you 5*sin(u)*dx. Now you just replace dx=25*du/(4*pi). Then you have an integral all in u. Integrate it. Now reverse the substitution to get an expression in x. Have you really never done this before?

1. What is the formula for integrating a sine function and a fraction?

The formula for integrating a sine function and a fraction is ∫ sin(x)/a dx = (-1/a) cos(x) + C, where a is a constant and C is the constant of integration.

2. Can the integration of a sine function and a fraction be solved by substitution?

Yes, the integration of a sine function and a fraction can be solved by substitution. This involves substituting u = sin(x) and du = cos(x) dx to simplify the integral.

3. Is there a specific method for integrating a sine function and a fraction?

Yes, the most common method for integrating a sine function and a fraction is using the substitution method. However, it can also be solved using integration by parts or the trigonometric identities.

4. What are the limits of integration for integrating a sine function and a fraction?

The limits of integration for integrating a sine function and a fraction can vary depending on the problem. It is important to carefully read the question and determine the appropriate limits of integration.

5. Can the integration of a sine function and a fraction be solved using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in integration function that can be used to solve the integration of a sine function and a fraction. However, it is important to double check the answer and understand the steps involved in the integration process.