Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of exponential of inverse tangent

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Hi all, i need help with integration of exponential of inverse tangent, could not find it in table of integrals

the whole equation is
    I=∫A/[w(a+z^2)^1/2]*exp(zb)*exp[(-i*arctan(z/(a)^1/2)]

-am trying to integrate by parts but stuck at the arctan part

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

You won't be able to find a closed form in terms of elementary functions. It looks like the answer will necessarily involve the special function [itex]\mbox{Ei}(z)[/itex], defined for real numbers as

[tex]\mbox{Ei}(x) = \int_{-\infty}^x \frac{e^t}{t},[/tex]
    though your integral will require the extension of this function on the complex plane.

Anyways, for your problem, I would use [itex]e^{-i\theta} = \cos\theta - i \sin\theta[/itex]. Since [itex]\theta = \tan^{-1}(z/\sqrt{a})[/itex] you can rewrite the sine and cosine in terms of only z, a, and (z^2+a)^(0.5). The last hint I will give is that the overall denominator you get can be factored (with imaginary roots) to cancel with part of the numerator.

4. Dec 15, 2011 #3
    Thank you mute. I redid the initial equations and put the inverse tangent term as arctan (z/a) instead of arctan (z/a^1/2) as earlier.ignore the w as i already factor it out. so now i got

I=∫A/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)exp(-i*arctan(z/a)) *dz

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*cos(theta)-i*sin(theta) *dz

where theta=arctan(z/a)

=A∫1/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*exp(bz)*(a-i*z)/[(z^2+a^2)^1/2]*dz

finally

I=A∫(1/a+iz)exp(bz)*dz

After this, let u=a+iz

I=-iA*exp(iab)*∫exp(-ibu)/u*du

This is referring the exponential integral term rite. I hope this is what you meant.
    Thanks again.

5. Dec 15, 2011 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

I haven't checked it carefully, but yes, that looks about right. You can now identify

[tex]\int du~\frac{e^{-ibu}}{u} = \mbox{Ei}(-ibu) + \mbox{const}[/tex]
    and put u back in terms of z.

6. Dec 15, 2011 #5
    Thanks alot mute...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook