Integration of products of the Gauss Error Function

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of integrals involving the function e^(-(x^2)) over the range of negative to positive infinity. The first integral is solved and found to be equal to sqrt pi. The second integral is then introduced and it is mentioned that there is a trick to solving it by differentiating the previous expression. The final solution for the second integral is obtained by differentiating the expression and it is found to be equal to -1/2.
Unredeemed

Homework Statement

Given that the integral from negative to positive infinity of e^(-(x^2))dx is equal to sqrt pi. Find the values of the integrals from negative to positive infinity of e^(-u*(x^2))dx and (x^2)*e^(-(x^2))dx.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the first one and got that it would be sqrt(pi/u).
But I honestly didn't know where to begin for the second. I drew graphs of y=e^(-(x^2)) and y=(x^2)*e^(-(x^2)), but it didn't help me massively.

I noticed that the graphs acted very similarly if -1/e>x or 1/e<x. But that might have just been how I'd drawn my graphs.

Can anyone help?

NB: I didn't know it was called the "Gauss Error Function" until i googled it, so this question assumes no knowledge of that.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a trick:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ux^{2}}dx=\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{u}}
[/tex]
Differentiate the above expression w.r.t. u to obtain the answer to the second question.

What is the Gauss Error Function?

The Gauss Error Function, also known as the Gauss Erf or simply Erf function, is a mathematical function that describes the probability of a normal distribution of a variable falling within a certain range of values. It is commonly used in statistics, physics, and engineering.

What is the purpose of integrating products of the Gauss Error Function?

Integrating products of the Gauss Error Function is useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as signal processing, probability theory, and statistics. It allows for the calculation of complex probabilities and can be used to solve various mathematical problems.

How is the integration of products of the Gauss Error Function performed?

The integration of products of the Gauss Error Function is typically done using numerical methods or computer algorithms. It involves breaking down the function into smaller, more manageable parts and using mathematical techniques to calculate the integral of each part. The results are then combined to obtain the final integral.

What are some real-world applications of the integration of products of the Gauss Error Function?

The integration of products of the Gauss Error Function has numerous practical applications, such as in the analysis of financial data, modeling of chemical reactions, and evaluation of risk in insurance. It can also be used in image processing, pattern recognition, and data compression.

What are the advantages of using the integration of products of the Gauss Error Function over other integration methods?

The integration of products of the Gauss Error Function is often preferred over other integration methods because it is more accurate and efficient in handling complex functions. It also allows for the evaluation of integrals that cannot be solved analytically, making it a valuable tool in many scientific and engineering fields.