Integration of the natural log

In summary, to integrate ∫ (ln x)^2 /x dx, you can use substitution by letting u = ln x, then differentiating to get du/dx = 1/x. From there, the integral becomes u^2 du. After canceling the x, you can integrate u^2 to get the final answer.
nusaibahazman
1. how to integrate∫ (ln x)2 /x dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Here it is better to show what you have attempted so far, after all people here are not answer machine. But a hint can be: what is the derivative of ln x?

nusaibahazman said:
1. how to integrate∫ (ln x)2 /x dx

raopeng said:
Here it is better to show what you have attempted so far, after all people here are not answer machine. But a hint can be: what is the derivative of ln x?

Although, raopeng suggests that you show what you've attempted, it is actually a part of the rules for posting a thread in the homework help section of this Forum.raopeng's hint is excellent.

x(ln x)-1+c..i not pretty sure..

nusaibahazman said:
x(ln x)-1+c..i not pretty sure..
The derivative of ln(x) is (1/x) + C .

Do you know integration by substitution?

i know..let u= ln x
then differenciate du/dx= 1/x..

i know..let u= ln x

nusaibahazman said:
i know..let u= ln x
After doing all that, what does your integral become, in terms of u ?

u^2 du..right.?

let u= ln x
du/dx= 1/x
dx= x du..
then integrate (u^2/x) x du
then cancel the x...so, integrate the u^2..
right.? i got the idea..tq..

1. What is integration of the natural log?

The integration of the natural log, also known as the integral of ln(x), is a mathematical operation that finds the function whose derivative is equal to the natural log function. It is denoted by ∫ln(x) dx.

2. Why is integration of the natural log important?

Integration of the natural log is important in many mathematical and scientific applications. It is used to solve differential equations, calculate areas under curves, and model various natural phenomena, such as population growth and radioactive decay.

3. How do you integrate the natural log function?

The natural log function can be integrated using the integration by parts method, where the natural log function is broken down into two parts and integrated separately. The resulting integral can then be solved using substitution or other integration techniques.

4. Are there any special rules for integrating the natural log?

Yes, there are a few special rules for integrating the natural log function. For example, the integral of ln(1) is equal to 0 and the integral of ln(x) divided by x is equal to ln(x) squared plus a constant. These rules can be helpful in certain integration problems.

5. Can the natural log function be integrated using software?

Yes, most mathematical software, such as Mathematica and MATLAB, have built-in functions for integrating the natural log. These programs use sophisticated algorithms to find the exact or approximate solution to the integral. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration before relying solely on software.