Integration over something with addition in denominator

In summary, the form you are trying to integrate with is giving you a strange issue where the result is different depending on what you plug it into. The solution is to use a substitution or to expand the expression.
Xilor
Hi,
I'm struggling to figure out how to do integration with forms such as:

∫ x/(x+1) dx
∫ x/(x+1)^2 dx
∫(b-x)^2/(b-a) dx

This last one especially is giving me a strange issue, where if I plug it into wolfram:
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(b+-+x)^2+/(b-a)++dx

It shows up with a result of (b-x)^3/3(b-a) + C
While if we know a to be a constant 0, and is left out, and this integral is plugged in: ∫(b-x)^2/(b) dx
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(b+-+x)^2+/(b)++dx

The answer x^3/3b +bx -x^2 +C is produced

You get a different result than the result of the former with a =0. The former one ends up with a b^2 term in the end (if you expand the (b-x)^3 and divide by b), while the latter doesn't. What is happening here and how are these types of integrals solved?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah yes, that helped me do the first and second ones here, thanks! On the third I'm still completely stumped though

Xilor said:
∫(b-x)^2/(b-a) dx
##\displaystyle {1\over b - a}\int (b - x)^2 dx##

Now substitute ##u = b -x## or just use ##(a+b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab##.

Buffu said:
##\displaystyle {1\over b - a}\int (b - x)^2 dx##

Now substitute ##u = b -x## or just use ##(a+b)^2 = a^2 + b^2 + 2ab##.

I assume you mean: (b−x)^2 = b^2 + x^2 - 2bx ? That's the route I tried. After integrating that part and multiplying by the 1/(b-a) again, I get:

(xb^2 + x^3/3 - bx^2)/(b-a) + C

There's no b^3 term in the numerator there, unlike the answer wolfram provided me. So it seems I'm doing something wrong (assuming wolfram isn't bugged)

##\frac 1{b - a}\int (b - x)^2dx##

Even simpler than using a substitution, just expand the ##(b - x)^2## expression.
Xilor said:
I assume you mean: (b−x)^2 = b^2 + x^2 - 2bx ? That's the route I tried. After integrating that part and multiplying by the 1/(b-a) again, I get:

(xb^2 + x^3/3 - bx^2)/(b-a) + C
Your answer above is fine. Possibly you entered it into wolframalpha incorrectly. Could you provide a link to the WA page with your integral?
Xilor said:
There's no b^3 term in the numerator there, unlike the answer wolfram provided me. So it seems I'm doing something wrong (assuming wolfram isn't bugged)

Mark44 said:
Even simpler than using a substitution, just expand the ##(b - x)^2## expression. Your answer above is fine. Possibly you entered it into wolframalpha incorrectly. Could you provide a link to the WA page with your integral?

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=integrate+(b+-+x)^2+/(b-a)++dx

My input in case that link fails:
integrate (b - x)^2 /(b-a) dx

You have ##(xb^2+x^3/3-bx^2)/(b-a)+C=\frac{1}{3(b-a)}(3xb^2+x^3-3bx^2)+C##.
Compare this with the cubic formula ##(x-b)^3=x^3+3xb^2-3bx^2-b^3##

They are similar, but the latter has a -b^3 in there, which is not a constant. Where is this -b^3 coming from?

Well, ##b^3## is a constant in the sense that it is independent of ##x##. You can therefore write ##\frac{1}{3(b-a)}(3xb^2+x^3-3bx^2)+C=\frac{1}{3(b-a)}(x-b)^3+\frac{b^3}{3(b-a)}+C=\frac{1}{3(b-a)}(x-b)^3+D##, where ##D=\frac{b^3}{3(b-a)}+C##

Likes Xilor
I suppose so, and I guess the term would disappear if you used a definite integral. That sounds like it should be the intended reading of the result here. Thanks!

Xilor said:
I suppose so, and I guess the term would disappear if you used a definite integral. That sounds like it should be the intended reading of the result here. Thanks!

If you had used substitution you would have got the Wolfram answer.

##\displaystyle {1\over b - a}\int (b - x)^2 dx = {1\over a - b}\int (b-x)^2 d(b - x) = {(b-x)^3/3\over a - b}##.

Likes Xilor
Xilor said:
Yes, for an indefinite integral the constant is arbitrary. For an definite integral on the interval ##[c,d]## you would have ##F(d)-F(c)##, where ##F(x)## denotes the indefinite integral. So, the constant disappears since you subtract.

eys_physics said:
where F(x)F(x)F(x) denotes the indefinite integral

##F(x)## denotes a antiderivative and indefinite integral is "family" of all antiderivatives. Clearly ##F(x)## does not denote a indefinite integral.

Correct me if I am wrong.

1. What is integration over something with addition in denominator?

Integration over something with addition in denominator refers to the process of finding the antiderivative of a function where the denominator contains both a constant and a variable term. This type of integration involves using substitution or other integration techniques to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate.

2. Why is integration over something with addition in denominator important?

Integration over something with addition in denominator is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical and scientific problems. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many real-world applications, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common techniques used for integrating over something with addition in denominator?

Some common techniques for integrating over something with addition in denominator include substitution, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitutions. These techniques help to simplify the expression and make it easier to integrate, ultimately leading to a solution.

4. How do I determine which technique to use for integrating over something with addition in denominator?

The choice of technique for integrating over something with addition in denominator depends on the specific expression being integrated. In general, it is helpful to look for patterns, such as a constant term in the denominator or a repeated factor, and use the appropriate technique to simplify the expression.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating over something with addition in denominator?

One common mistake when integrating over something with addition in denominator is forgetting to apply the chain rule when using substitution. It is important to keep track of the derivative of the substituted variable to ensure the correct solution. Additionally, it is important to check for any restrictions on the variable to avoid errors in the final solution.