Integration problem ∫sqroot((cosx-cos^3(x))/(1-cos^3(x)))

• Thread starter Krushnaraj Pandya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: Problem statement 1. In summary, the problem is to find an elegant solution to a problem involving a trig function and an elliptic function of complex arguments.
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find
∫sqroot((cosx-cos^3(x))/(1-cos^3(x)))

2. The attempt at a solution
I tried taking cosx common on top which gives cosxsin^2(x), but it didn't give me any benefit, I tried splitting the numerator, factoring in sec^2(x) and a bunch of substitutions to no avail. Finally exhausted and out of insights I'm posting it here, would be glad if someone can help me with this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your parentheses mismatch. Are you taking square root of just numerator, or the whole thing?
Have you looked at manipulating the denominator? (a3 - b3)

scottdave said:
Your parentheses mismatch. Are you taking square root of just numerator, or the whole thing?
The whole thing, sorry about that

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
The whole thing, sorry about that
I suggest you start using LaTeX. Here is your integral done that way:
$$\int \sqrt{\frac{\cos x - \cos^3 x}{1 - \cos^3 x}} \, dx.$$
To see how I typed that, just right-click on the image and ask for a display of math as tex commands.

Likes scottdave
Im sure you noticed that you can take sin(x) outside of the sqrt.
But that doesn't seem to help either. It leads to one very messy solution.

Alternatively, you can factor out (1-cos(x)) from the numerator and denominator,
But that doesn't seem to help.

I think it's just plain ugly.

Ray Vickson said:
To see how I typed that, just right-click on the image and ask for a display of math as tex commands.
Thanks, I'll learn it immediately

.Scott said:
Im sure you noticed that you can take sin(x) outside of the sqrt.
But that doesn't seem to help either. It leads to one very messy solution.

Alternatively, you can factor out (1-cos(x)) from the numerator and denominator,
But that doesn't seem to help.

I think it's just plain ugly.
hahaha, I know that...which is why I need the experts of physics forums on this

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
hahaha, I know that...which is why I need the experts of physics forums on this
If you're desparate, move the sin(x) outside of the sqrt and use www.wolframalpha.com.
But as I said, the result is not elegant.

.Scott said:
If you're desparate, move the sin(x) outside of the sqrt and use www.wolframalpha.com.
But as I said, the result is not elegant.
I'm preparing for an UG entrance exam called JEE Advanced (for the best engineering institutes in India)...in a nutshell, they love asking these questions and there's surely an elegant solution which requires no use of technology whatsoever (a whole lot of mathematical aptitude though). The challenge is finding that trick

scottdave said:
I'll try it and get back on it.
ok- factorized it, don't see anything useful still- now what?

Ray Vickson said:
I tried simply just copying those commands into the title, that's not how it works I guess. I'm having some trouble getting the hang of it, is there a proper tutorial?

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I tried simply just copying those commands into the title, that's not how it works I guess. I'm having some trouble getting the hang of it, is there a proper tutorial?

It is usually not a good idea to have complicated formulas in the title; it would be better to say something like "integral with square root of trig functions", then state the problem details after the title (in section 1).

Krushnaraj Pandya said:
I'm preparing for an UG entrance exam called JEE Advanced (for the best engineering institutes in India)...in a nutshell, they love asking these questions and there's surely an elegant solution which requires no use of technology whatsoever (a whole lot of mathematical aptitude though). The challenge is finding that trick

If the problem really is as you have stated it, the indefinite integral involves Elliptic functions of complex arguments. It may simplify a bit, but the Elliptic functions will not go away. The integral really is "non-elementary".

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
It is usually not a good idea to have complicated formulas in the title; it would be better to say something like "integral with square root of trig functions", then state the problem details after the title (in section 1).
ok, I'll keep that in mind

Ray Vickson said:
If the problem really is as you have stated it, the indefinite integral involves Elliptic functions of complex arguments. It may simplify a bit, but the Elliptic functions will not go away. The integral really is "non-elementary".
There is one way through which this gets easier, its still quite complex though. I did the following steps
1) took cos common, and then sin^2 out of the square root in numerator, giving sin in Num.
2)taking cosx=t, -sinxdx=dt (the sin in the numerator cancels out so now we only have cos terms which we can write in terms of t as -∫sqrt(t)/sqrt(1-t^3)
I wrote 1-t^3 as (1)^2-(t^(3/2))^2 (in perfect squares form), it looks a little bit like the derivative of cos inverse x, but I would have to put x as t^3/2 in its formula which is still a bit ugly and I'm hesitant to write it further, I'm quite sure cos inverse is involved though. (PS my textbook gives the answer as 2/3(Arccos(cos^(3/2)x)

Likes Delta2
Krushnaraj Pandya said:
There is one way through which this gets easier, its still quite complex though. I did the following steps
1) took cos common, and then sin^2 out of the square root in numerator, giving sin in Num.
2)taking cosx=t, -sinxdx=dt (the sin in the numerator cancels out so now we only have cos terms which we can write in terms of t as -∫sqrt(t)/sqrt(1-t^3)
I wrote 1-t^3 as (1)^2-(t^(3/2))^2 (in perfect squares form), it looks a little bit like the derivative of cos inverse x, but I would have to put x as t^3/2 in its formula which is still a bit ugly and I'm hesitant to write it further, I'm quite sure cos inverse is involved though. (PS my textbook gives the answer as 2/3(Arccos(cos^(3/2)x)

I think you almost did it but you haven't realized it … Substituting ##u=t^{\frac{3}{2}}## then we have ##du=\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{t}dt##. At the numerator you already have ##\sqrt{t}dt##...

Delta² said:
I think you almost did it but you haven't realized it … Substituting ##u=t^{\frac{3}{2}}## then we have ##du=\frac{3}{2}\sqrt{t}dt##. At the numerator you already have ##\sqrt{t}dt##...
Ah! yes, solved it! Thanks a lot

1. What is an integration problem?

An integration problem involves finding the integral, or the area under a curve, of a given function. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve a variety of mathematical and scientific problems.

2. Why is this integration problem difficult?

This particular integration problem is difficult because the integrand (the function inside the integral) contains trigonometric functions, which can be challenging to integrate. Additionally, the presence of a square root and a cubic term makes it a more complex function to work with.

3. How can I solve this integration problem?

This integration problem can be solved by using various techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It may require multiple steps and techniques to reach a solution.

4. Is there a shortcut or formula for this integration problem?

Unfortunately, there is no specific formula or shortcut for this integration problem. It requires a combination of techniques and a good understanding of calculus principles to arrive at the solution.

5. What is the importance of solving integration problems in science?

Integration problems are essential in science as they allow us to calculate important quantities such as area, volume, and work. They are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to model and solve real-world problems.