Integration to calculate centre of mass

In summary, the problem is that the author is introducing new terms without clarifying their meaning. The base of the cone (z=0) is where the radius of the disk will be greatest and equal to R. r is the radius of the disk as a function of z. The author is trying to interpolate between these two values of z, and if r=R*z/h, then r=0 when z=0. The author also mentions that the density of the rod varies with length, and that 'a' has something to do with expressing the density ρ as a function of x. Lastly, the author explains that r=R(1-z/h) (h-z).
MathewsMD
There are two problems I am facing, and in each one, they are introducing new terms in the integration but I don't understand how.

Problem #1

XrNAO5o.png

mL8p9IS.png

Where I become lost is r=R(1-z/h)
Why is this not just r=R(z/h)? Where does the 1-z come from?

tDZREWM.png

2EPankq.png

In this question, there is an integration for part b. Where I become confused is when they pull 1+a out of the integral. Where does this 1+a come from? I am relatively new to integration but know the basics. I guess I just can't seem to reason why some of these steps are being done.

Any guidance would be great! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
Problem #1

Where I become lost is r=R(1-z/h)
Why is this not just r=R(z/h)? Where does the 1-z come from?
Note that the base of the cone is at z = 0, which is where the radius of the disk will be greatest and equal to R. r is the radius of the disk as a function of z.

In the diagram, change the y-axis to the z axis and turn 'dy' into 'dz'. Whoever wrote the text and drew the diagram apparently didn't compare notes.

Doc Al said:
Note that the base of the cone is at z = 0, which is where the radius of the disk will be greatest and equal to R. r is the radius of the disk as a function of z.

Okay. I'm still a little confused on how they derived r=R(1-z/h) though. Any more clarification would be very helpful.

Any assistance on the second problem would be great too!

SteamKing said:
In the diagram, change the y-axis to the z axis and turn 'dy' into 'dz'. Whoever wrote the text and drew the diagram apparently didn't compare notes.

And yes. I eventually caught on since they introduced z instead of the y in the image. Thanks for pointing it out.

When z = 0, r = R and when z = h, r = 0. What you want to do is set up a linear interpolation to determine r between these two values of z. If r = R*z/h, then r = 0 when z = 0; or, in other words, the cone would be turned upside down with the pointy end at the bottom.

As far as the rod is concerned, the explanation in the text is lacking in describing what the parameter 'a' is supposed to mean. Since the density of the rod varies with length, 'a' must have something to do with expressing the density ρ as a function of x.

SteamKing said:
When z = 0, r = R and when z = h, r = 0. What you want to do is set up a linear interpolation to determine r between these two values of z. If r = R*z/h, then r = 0 when z = 0; or, in other words, the cone would be turned upside down with the pointy end at the bottom.

As far as the rod is concerned, the explanation in the text is lacking in describing what the parameter 'a' is supposed to mean. Since the density of the rod varies with length, 'a' must have something to do with expressing the density ρ as a function of x.

Okay, that makes sense. I'm just confused as to why there is a 1-z in the solution instead of just ±z (depending on our definition of z=0).

I feel like I'm missing something obvious right now.

Last edited:
If it helps, draw a sketch.

Doc Al said:
To add to the top answer: Imagine a 2D cut of the cone: the cone defines a right triangle such tan Q = R /h. But the position of the differential disk defines a second right triangle with same angle: tan Q = r / h'. Where r is the base radius and h' the height of the inner triangle. Now h' the height of the second triangle is h the total height minus z the position of the differential disk : h' = h-z.

Finally : tan Q = (R / h) = (r /h') = (r /h-z) --> r = (R /h) ( h - z) = R (1 - z/h )

1. What is integration used for in calculating center of mass?

Integration is used to calculate the center of mass of an object by taking into account the distribution of mass throughout the object and finding the average position of the mass.

2. How does integration help determine the center of mass?

Integration helps determine the center of mass by dividing the object into small, infinitesimal pieces and calculating the mass and position of each piece. These values are then used to find the overall center of mass of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating center of mass using integration?

The formula for calculating center of mass using integration is: x = (1/M) ∫x dm, where x is the position of the center of mass, M is the total mass of the object, and dm is the infinitesimal mass element.

4. Can integration be used to find the center of mass of any object?

Yes, integration can be used to find the center of mass of any object, as long as the mass distribution of the object is known or can be approximated.

5. What are the units for center of mass calculated using integration?

The units for center of mass calculated using integration are typically in meters (m) or centimeters (cm), depending on the units used for the position and mass values in the integration formula.