How Does Integration to Infinity Work in Calculus?

In summary, by setting up the given integral as a limit, we can see that it diverges to infinity. This is because the natural logarithm function increases without bound as the input approaches infinity. Therefore, the integral $\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{x\ln\left({x}\right)}\,dx$ does not converge.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$$\Large{§8.8. 14} \\
\tiny\text {Leeward 206 Integration to Infinity}\\
\displaystyle
I=\int_{2 }^{\infty} \frac{1}{x\ln\left({x}\right)}\,dx \\
\begin{align}\displaystyle
u& = \ln\left({x}\right) &
du&=\frac{1}{x} \ d{x}
\end{align} \\
\displaystyle
I=\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{u} \,du = \ln\left({u}\right)\\
\text {back substittute u} \\
I= \ln\left({\ln\left({x}\right)}\right)\\
\text {don't see how this can go to }\infty \\
\tiny\text{ Surf the Nations math study group}$$
🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄 🏄

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you get if you set it up as a limit?

$$\Large{§8.8. 14} \\
\tiny\text {Leeward 206 Integration to Infinity}\\
\displaystyle
I=\int_{2 }^{\infty} \frac{1}{x\ln\left({x}\right)}\,dx \\
\begin{align}\displaystyle
u& = \ln\left({x}\right) &
du&=\frac{1}{x} \ d{x}
\end{align} \\
\displaystyle
I=\int_{2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{u} \,du = \ln\left({u}\right)\\
\text {back substittute u} \\
\displaystyle
I= \left[\ln\left(
{\ln\left({x}\right)}\right)
\right]_2^\infty = \left[2+\infty\right]=\infty\\
\tiny\text{ Surf the Nations math study group}$$
🏄 🏄

Last edited:

1. What is "Integration to Infinity"?

"Integration to Infinity" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve from a starting point to an infinite end point. It is a type of improper integral that is used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is "Integration to Infinity" different from regular integration?

The main difference between "Integration to Infinity" and regular integration is that regular integration involves finding the area under a curve between two finite points, while "Integration to Infinity" involves finding the area under a curve from a starting point to an infinite end point.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Integration to Infinity"?

"Integration to Infinity" has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the total distance traveled by an object with a continuously changing velocity, or to determine the total amount of energy required to complete a task with an infinite number of steps.

4. What are some techniques for solving "Integration to Infinity" problems?

There are several techniques for solving "Integration to Infinity" problems, including the comparison test, the limit comparison test, and the ratio test. These tests involve evaluating the behavior of the integrand as the upper limit approaches infinity.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using "Integration to Infinity"?

One limitation of "Integration to Infinity" is that it can only be used for certain types of functions, such as those that approach zero as the independent variable approaches infinity. Additionally, there can be challenges in accurately evaluating the integral due to the infinite nature of the end point. Special techniques, such as numerical methods, may be necessary in some cases.