Integration, trig with double substitution

In summary, Integral ( cos(x)/(1+cos(x))^.5 dx)The Attempt at a Solution:Integral ( cos(x)/(1+cos(x))^.5 dx)Conjugate/trig identitiesIntegral ( cos(x)/(1+cos(x))^.5 (1-cos(x))^.5/(1-cos(x)^.5) dx)Integral ( cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5)/(1-cos(x)^2)^.5 dx)Integral ( cos(x)(1-cos
Azureflames

Homework Statement

Integral ( cos(x)/(1+cos(x))^.5 dx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Square it
Integral ( cos(x)^2/(1+cos(x) dx)

Multiply by the Conjugate
Integral ( cos(x)^2/(1+cos(x) * (1 - cos(x))/(1 - cos(x)) dx)

Take the square root and then multiply by sin(x)/sin(x)
Integral ( cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5/(sin(x) * sin(x)/sin(x) dx )

Convert sin(x)^2 in denom to 1-cos(x)^2 then use u-sub, u= cos(x) du=-sin(x)
Integral -( u(1-u)^.5/(1-u^2) du )

w substitution w= (1-u)^.5 u = 1-w^2 du = -2w
Integral (1-w^2)w^2/(1-(1-2w^2+w^4) dw)

Reduce down to
Integral 2((1-w^2)/(2-w^2) dw )

I have more done but am leaving to go out to dinner now. Will post more of my work later if needed. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you can't 'square' an integral. Second, there is a nice trig identity you can use for the expression inside the square root. Look under half or double angle formulas. Can you find it?

Okay, after you told me my first step was wrong, I started over. I looked at the half angle double angle stuff and didn't like how it was looking so I tried a similar approach to my first but fixed the first step.

My solution:

Conjugate/trig identities
Integral ( cos(x)/(1+cos(x))^.5 (1-cos(x))^.5/(1-cos(x)^.5) dx)
Integral ( cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5)/(1-cos(x)^2)^.5 dx)
Integral ( cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5)/sin(x) dx)

Times sin(x)/sin(x) and trig ident
Integral( sin(x) * cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5 / (sin(x)^2) dx)
Integral( sin(x) * cos(x)(1-cos(x))^.5 / (1-cos(x)^2 dx)

u-sub u=cos(x) du=-sin(x)
Integral -( u(1-u)^.5/(1-u^2) du)

w-sub w=(1-u)^.5 u=1-w^2 du=-2w dw
Integral 2( (1-w^2)w^2/(1-w^2)^2 dw)

Expanding/reducing
Integral 2((1-w^2)/(2-w^2)

Division
Integral 2((1 - (1/(-w^2+2)) dw)

Partial Fraction Decomposition
2 * Integral (1dw) + .5(2)^.5 * Integral (1/(w-2^.5) dw) - .5(2)^.5 * Integral (1/(w+2^.5) dw)

Integrate

2w + .5(2)^.5*ln(w-2^.5) - .5(2)^.5*ln(w+2^.5) + C

Resubstitute everything...
2(1-cos(x))^.5 + .5(2)^.5*ln((1-cos(x))^.5 - 2^.5) - .5(2)^.5*ln((1-cos(x))^.5 + 2^.5) + C

Fairly certain my steps are correct :D. Thanks for the assistance.

Edit: Really need to figure out formatting lol.

The Identities that Dick referred to where:

[tex]cos (2t) = \cos^2 t - \sin^2 t = 2\cos^2 t -1[/tex].

Both forms come in quite useful in evaluating this integral.

I doubt this is much use but I was having a little play with that on my maths program and it came up with the rather horrendous answer:

maths.JPG

? hehe. It looked relatively simple?

Have I expressed your question correctly?

That expression can be simplified a whole heap!

Gib Z said:
That expression can be simplified a whole heap!

True but even so it's not very pretty.

… combine the ln()s … !

Azureflames said:
Edit: Really need to figure out formatting lol.

If you type alt-v, it prints √ , which would help a lot :smile:
Resubstitute everything...
2(1-cos(x))^.5 + .5(2)^.5*ln((1-cos(x))^.5 - 2^.5) - .5(2)^.5*ln((1-cos(x))^.5 + 2^.5) + C

Fairly certain my steps are correct :D. Thanks for the assistance.

erm … but you haven't finished! The examiners won't like you leaving two ln()s without combining them:

ln(√(1-cos(x)) - √2) - ln(√(1-cos(x)) + √2)

= ln((√1-cos(x)) - √2)/(√(1-cos(x)) + √2))

= … ?
(this can be very much simplified, and I think the result will look familiar to you! :smile:)
Okay, after you told me my first step was wrong, I started over. I looked at the half angle double angle stuff and didn't like how it was looking so I tried a similar approach to my first but fixed the first step.

Azureflames, you should do what Dick and Gib Z suggested - they're very wise, and their way only takes about five lines! :smile:

1. What is integration with trigonometric functions?

Integration with trigonometric functions is the process of finding the antiderivative of a function that contains trigonometric expressions. It involves using the rules and identities of trigonometry to simplify the function and then integrating it using standard integration techniques.

2. What is a double substitution in trigonometric integration?

A double substitution in trigonometric integration is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals that involve trigonometric functions. It involves making two substitutions, one for each of the trigonometric functions present in the integral, to transform the integral into a simpler form that can be easily integrated.

3. When should I use double substitution in trigonometric integration?

Double substitution is typically used when the integral contains two different trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine, and cannot be easily solved using other integration techniques. It can also be used when the integral contains a combination of trigonometric and algebraic expressions.

4. What are the steps for using double substitution in trigonometric integration?

The steps for using double substitution in trigonometric integration are as follows:

1. Identify the trigonometric functions present in the integral.
  2. Make two substitutions, one for each trigonometric function present. This will involve using trigonometric identities to simplify the expressions.
  3. Solve the resulting integral using standard integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts.
  4. Substitute back in the original variables to get the final answer.

5. Can I use double substitution for all trigonometric integrals?

No, double substitution may not be the most efficient or effective method for all trigonometric integrals. It is best used when the integral contains two different trigonometric functions, and other techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts are not applicable. It is always a good idea to try different integration techniques to find the most efficient solution for a specific integral.