1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration with partial fractions

1. Jul 22, 2006 #1
    stuck on this one question. mostly cause I don't know the proper steps for using partial fractions.

(4x-4)/(x^4 -2x^3 +4x^2 -6x +3)
    which factors to
    now I have the answer here. but I don't know the rules for decomposing this fraction. can someone go over them for me
    this decomposes to A + B/(x-1)^2 + Cx+D/(x^2+3)
    i don't understand this step, why is the A value by itself, and what is the determining factor that you have 2 terms in the numerator. I though it had something to do with the degree of the denominator. but then why is it B/(x-1)^2 for the one but Cx+D/(x^2+3) for the other. both are x^2 terms.

hope i've explained myself well enough,
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, first simplify your expression as follows:

Now, assume an expansion of the form:
  4. Jul 22, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The general "rules" (which I am sure are in your textbook) are these:
    If a factor in the denominator is linear, i.e. (x-a), then you will need a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}[/itex]. That is, the numerator is a constant because the denominator is first degree.
    If a factor in the denominator is a power of a linear term, i.e. (x-a)n, then you will need several fractions of the form [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}[/itex], [itex]\frac{B}{(x-a)^2}[/itex], up to the nth power: [itex]\fra{Z}{(x-a)^n}[/itex]. Again, the denominator is always a constant because the "base" factor, x-a, is first power.
    If a factor is quadratic and can't be factored, say ax2+ bx+ c, then you will need a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{Ax+ B}{ax^2+ bx+ c}[/itex]. In each case, the numerator may be degree one less than the denominator (of course, A might be 0). If it were not, then you could divide it out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?