Max Intensity of 2 Waves: E^2(E_01 +- E_02)

In summary, the maximum intensity of two waves with the same frequency is (E_{01}+E_{02})^2, while for two waves out of phase by pi radians, the intensity is (E_{01}-E_{02})^2. This can be shown using the formula for intensity, which is proportional to the amplitude squared, and taking into account the phase difference between the waves.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that the maximum intensity of 2 waves is worth [tex](E_{01}+E_{02})^2[/tex] while for 2 waves out of phase by pi rad, it's worth [tex](E_{01}-E_{02})^2[/tex].

Homework Equations

Not sure about intensity. According to my notes it's worth [tex](U_1+U_2)(U_1+U_2)*[/tex] where * denotes the complex conjugate. And [tex]U(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\eta}}E(x)[/tex].
Also [tex]\eta=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{\mu _0}{\varepsilon _0}}}{n}[/tex] where n is the refractive index of the medium. Is there some easier formula for the intensity that I could use?

The Attempt at a Solution

As they don't say anything if the 2 waves have the same frequency, I think that indeed they have the same frequency otherwise it's senseless to talk of a phase. Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
If we talk of superposition of waves a phasor treatment provides
Ar2 = A12 + A22 + 2A1A2cosT
where T is the phase difference. Now knowing that intensity is proportional to amplitude squared and using conditions for constructive and destructive interference you can easily show the required results.

Related to Max Intensity of 2 Waves: E^2(E_01 +- E_02)

1. What does "Max Intensity of 2 Waves: E^2(E_01 +- E_02)" mean?

The equation represents the maximum intensity of two waves (E_01 and E_02) when they are combined and have opposite phases.

2. How is the maximum intensity calculated in this equation?

The maximum intensity is calculated by squaring the amplitudes of both waves (E_01 and E_02) and then multiplying them together.

3. What is the significance of having opposite phases in this equation?

Having opposite phases means that the two waves are perfectly out of phase with each other, resulting in destructive interference and a decrease in overall intensity.

4. Can this equation be applied to all types of waves?

Yes, this equation can be applied to all types of waves as long as they have measurable amplitudes and can be combined.

5. How can this equation be used in practical applications?

This equation can be used to determine the maximum intensity of waves in various situations, such as in optics and acoustics, and can also be used to calculate the interference patterns of these waves.