Intensity of sound and pain level

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 8K views
needhelp83
Messages
193
Reaction score
0
What is the intensity of sound at the pain level of 120 dB? Compare this to that of a whisper at 20 dB?


I know this should be so simple, but it has me confused.

I have the formula but I am just not sure how to apply it.

I(db)=10 log _ 10 (I/I _ 0)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would probably just assume that the base level (I_0) is 1... then solve each sound level in dB for the sound level in a linear intensity scale... then compare the two sound levels by saying something like... the loud noise is x times louder than the whisper.
 
Wiki has some fascinating information about decibels.

1 bel is a 10-fold increase in sound level. It is dimensionless (like percent, it is only for comparison). 1 decibel is 1/10th of a bel*.


*(So, 1 decibel is a 1-fold increase in sound? i.e. no increase at all? :biggrin: )
 
b=10 log (I/ I0)
120 dB=10 log (I/1)
10^12=(I/ 1)
I= 10^12 W/m^2


b=10 log (I/I0)
20 dB=10 log (I/1)
10^2=(I/1)
I=10^2 W/m^2


The intensity of 120 dB would be 10^12 W/m^2 compared to the whisper with the intensity at 10^2 W/m^2 which equals 10^10 more intense.

Sound good?