Decibel question, not sure where I went wrong.

• Thread starter TheKShaugh
  • Start date
In summary: This makes sense since decibels are a logarithmic scale.The equation you provided, dB = 10log(I/I_ref), is the formula for finding decibels given intensity and a reference intensity. However, in this case, we don't need to find the decibels given the intensity. We already have the decibels and need to find the intensity. So we rearrange the formula to solve for intensity: I = I_ref * 10^(dB/10). In this case, we can use the intensity at 113 decibels (I_ref = 1E-12 W/m^2) and the given decibel level (120 dB) to solve for the intensity needed.In summary, to
TheKShaugh

Homework Statement

At a rock concert the fans in the front row are bombarded with 113 dB of sound. How many rock bands playing simultaneously at this level would be required to reach or exceed the pain threshold (120 dB)?
The answer has to be an integer. (Fractional rock bands don't exist ...)

Homework Equations

Db = 10log(I/I_ref)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I started by finding the intensity (in W/m^2) of the band using I_ref of 1E-12 W/m^2. That number was 0.1995 Then I found the intensity that would be needed to produce 120 decibels, which was 5 times greater, but that answer was marked wrong. It makes sense to me though, and when I check how many decibels 5x.01995 W/m^2 would produce, I get 120. Where did I go wrong on this one?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, there is no need to convert to W/m2 and then back to decibels. There is an easier way.

Second, the question hints that the answer will need to be converted to an integer. Does 120 decibels involve exactly 5 times the power of 113 decibels?

jbriggs444 said:
First, there is no need to convert to W/m2 and then back to decibels. There is an easier way.

Second, the question hints that the answer will need to be converted to an integer. Does 120 decibels involve exactly 5 times the power of 113 decibels?

It doesn't involve exactly 5, no, it's actually 5.01 and when I put in 6 as the answer I was told it's correct. You say there's a better way, I guess you mean by taking the 113 decibels as the reference and just having 10^(7/10)? I don't really know the ins and outs of the equation, would you be able to explain it?

Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind. 120 decibels is ##10^\frac{7}{10}## times the power of 113 decibels.

1. What is a decibel and how is it measured?

A decibel is a unit used to measure the intensity or loudness of a sound. It is often used in the field of acoustics and sound engineering. The decibel scale is logarithmic, meaning that a small change in decibel level represents a large change in sound intensity. Decibels are measured using a reference level, typically 0 dB for the threshold of human hearing.

2. How is the decibel scale calculated?

The decibel scale is calculated using a logarithmic formula: dB = 10 * log10 (P1/P0), where P1 is the measured sound pressure and P0 is the reference sound pressure. This formula is used to convert the ratio of two sound pressures into a decibel value.

3. What is the difference between dB(A) and dB(C)?

dB(A) and dB(C) are two different weighting scales used to measure sound. dB(A) is the most commonly used scale and is a weighted scale that takes into account the sensitivity of the human ear to different frequencies. dB(C) is a flat scale that measures sound across all frequencies equally. dB(A) is typically used for measuring everyday sounds, while dB(C) is used for measuring industrial or environmental noise.

4. Can the decibel scale be used to measure all types of sound?

No, the decibel scale is primarily used for measuring audible sound. It cannot accurately measure other types of sound such as infrasonic or ultrasonic frequencies. Additionally, the decibel scale is not suitable for measuring non-acoustic forms of energy, such as light or electricity.

5. How does the distance from the sound source affect decibel levels?

The intensity of sound decreases as distance from the sound source increases. This means that the decibel level also decreases as distance increases. In general, sound levels decrease by approximately 6 decibels for every doubling of distance from the source. This relationship is known as the inverse square law and is important to consider when measuring and controlling noise levels.