1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interdisciplinary Senior Project vs Senior Project Only In Physics

1. Aug 27, 2014 #1
    I did an REU this summer at the university I go to and thanks G-d we got a lot more work done then expected. The REU was in Chaos theory, and we are waiting for the supercomputer to spit out some results and if the results are what as predicted we'll be able to write a paper in which I'll be first author. However, despite all of this success, I need to continue this research for another two semester for my senior project. I was thinking recruiting a chemistry or an engineering student of some kind to expand the scope of my research. Would it look better on a graduate school application for a PhD program in physics if my senior project expanded multiple fields rather then just solely physics?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Without knowing the project and phd you're looking for its hard to say. The fact that you have a possible paper is really good but I'd make sure the results get analyzed soon so you have enough time to get it written and peer reviewed by your profs prior to publication.

Also the fact that you're managing students to work on the project and directing them is good too. This would be a skill that would stand out when going for jobs in industry. I should think the graduate review committee will look at this and say you have leadership/ management qualities that would make you a good researcher.

As far as multidisciplinary project goes, I don't think it matters much if it has a significant amount of physics so that it's primarily a physics project branching into other fields.

Wait for others more knowledgeable than me to comment...

Good luck on your project and paper!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook