1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other I need recommendations for an interesting Senior Project.

1. Feb 4, 2017 #1
    I'm currently a junior in high school, and I'm really interested in physics, especially particle physics and quantum mechanics. At my school, everybody needs to do a big senior project to graduate, involving multiple papers and about 30 hours of work, usually to build something or organize a community event. Most people end up restoring an old car or something similar, but I would really like to tie in my interest in theoretical physics. I still have another 6 months before I need to know exactly what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any recommendations for a long term project involving these areas of physics? My first thought was to build a small particle accelerator, but I don't have any experience working with electricity, so I'd probably accidentally fry myself from the high voltage. Other ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2017 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Are you good with programming?

4. Feb 4, 2017 #3
    I'm no expert, I know python pretty well, and I'm starting to learn Java. I'll be taking AP Computer Science next year so I should be a lot more well-versed with Java by the time I'm actually working on the project.

5. Feb 4, 2017 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Well, you could write some kind of simulation. Like simulate a solar system, a chaotic double pendulum, etc.

6. Feb 4, 2017 #5
    That's actually a pretty good idea. I might be able to tie that into particle physics by simulating some basic interactions. I'll definitely consider that as an option, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted