Interest in being a physicist what to take?

In summary, the person is interested in studying physics and writing their own research papers. They are considering electrical engineering as their first preference at IIT Bombay, with a minor in physics. However, if they do not get accepted, they are unsure whether to go for mechanical engineering or computer science. They are confused and seeking advice on what to do. It is suggested that they take introductory courses in both fields to determine their interests and career goals. If they plan to go to graduate school in physics after working, mechanical engineering may be a better option for a stronger physics background.
ptosh
Interest in being a physicist.. what to take??

Hey I'm in a dilemma right now so I really need help. I want to study physics in the future and be able to write my own research papers. But I also want to get a settled job first to keep my options open in the future. I won't take engineering physics because it will close down my options later. So I have put electrical engineering as my first preference in IIT Bombay, and I plan to do a minor in physics when I get there. Just in case I don't get elec, should I go for mechanical engineering or computer science?? People tell me take cs cause its highly in demand . But cs has no physics in it. I really love physics so I thought of mecanical engineering. I'm very confused. What should I do?? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, it depends on what you plan to do. If you minor in physics, then you'll still be able to do a lot of physics. And there is a TINY bit of overlap between CS and physics. CS generally requires Linear Algebra, which is great (really most math you can take is good for physics).
It comes down mostly to what you want to do, and which you like more. You can take an intro to both and then decide. I haven't taken any sort of engineering-specific classes, but I've taken physics and CS classes, and I can say that both take a fair amount of problem solving. So...I guess my best advice is to take an intro to both and see what you like more.
If you plan to go back to an undergraduate program to finish physics, then you could do either, but if you want to go from a job to then graduate school in Physics, then it might be better to do mechanical engineering, because that would probably give you a better physics background.
You could always do both haha.

1. What are the required courses to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and other sciences such as chemistry and biology. Some recommended courses include calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Is a specific degree necessary to become a physicist?

While a degree in physics is the most common path to becoming a physicist, it is not the only option. Other degrees such as engineering, mathematics, or computer science can also lead to a career in physics.

3. What skills are important for a physicist to have?

Aside from a strong understanding of mathematics and physics, a physicist should also have critical thinking and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to communicate complex ideas effectively.

4. What types of jobs can I get with a degree in physics?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of job opportunities, including research roles in academia or industry, engineering positions, data analysis and modeling, and even careers in finance or technology.

5. How can I gain experience and stand out as a physicist?

To gain experience and stand out as a physicist, it is important to participate in research projects, internships, and other hands-on experiences. Additionally, attending conferences and networking with professionals in the field can also help to build connections and showcase your skills and knowledge.