Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting Facts about Richard Feynmann

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1

Mk

Interesting guy, what do YOU know?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2
    I'm currently reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" I love the book. I love the guy. One of the greatest men to ever walk this earth.

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3
    He conducted meetings in strip clubs, did not drink alcohol, had a lot of fun picking locks and cracking safes while working on the manhatten project and best of all inspired me to go back to uni and read for a Physics degree.

5. Oct 13, 2005 #4
    "Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

On Feynman's placard at a "legalize marijuana" rally:

"Stupidity should not be a crime!"

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In order to prove that future astronauts could relieve themselves in micro-gravity, that is, in order to end the muscle action vs gravity debate, Feynman stood on his head an peed for his friends.

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

Mk

Are you guys sure all this is true?

9. Oct 13, 2005 #8
    Everything that has been said is true. Why do you doubt it?

10. Oct 14, 2005 #9
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that he is the funniest Physicist ever!

I really wish he were my Physics professor for all my Physics classes. :frown:

11. Oct 14, 2005 #10

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Interesting factoid:

If you spell his name incorrectly, it has 15 letters.

:biggrin:

12. Oct 14, 2005 #11

Mk

Yes, that's true.

13. Oct 14, 2005 #12
    Feynman's first wife died of TB. :frown:

14. Oct 15, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

And, IIRC, her bedside clock stopped at just around her time of death. And what do you think Feynman thought of that? What else: The clock had always been touchy and the nurse may have disturbed it in recording the time of death. I don't know whether it's true though.

One of my favorite pictures of him: http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/images/feynman.jpg

15. Oct 15, 2005 #14

Mk

Aww, did you get cut out? :tongue2:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  16. Oct 15, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Hm. I can't figure out what to say. I can see how that might be funny, but for some reason, it upsets me. :frown:

17. Oct 15, 2005 #16
    Richard and one of his colleagues are talking about a student's calculations, and something is wrong with it. The whole day they try to fix it, but they give up and go home. Then, some hours later in the evening, the colleague gets a call from Richard and Richard tells him that he has solved the problem with the student's calculations.

This all happened a short time before Feynman would undergo a dangerous surgery due to his cancer. A normal person would be concerned whether he would survive the surgery, but Feynman instead works on that problem. He was a true physicist.

18. Oct 17, 2005 #17
    Wouldn't that corpsy smell really get to you though?

Sorry

:frown:

I feel kinda rotten now.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  19. Oct 17, 2005 #18
    LOL. Let me rephrase it. I wish he were alive. I call him 'Funnyman' too.

20. Oct 17, 2005 #19

cronxeh

Gold Member

oh touche :rofl:

21. Oct 17, 2005 #20
    I love cadavers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?