Interesting Facts about Richard Feynmann

In summary: They smell so good.I feel kinda rotten now.In summary, the interesting guy is a great physicist who had a lot of fun doing things differently than most. He also inspired others to pursue a career in physics.
Mk
Interesting guy, what do YOU know?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm currently reading "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman!" I love the book. I love the guy. One of the greatest men to ever walk this earth.

He conducted meetings in strip clubs, did not drink alcohol, had a lot of fun picking locks and cracking safes while working on the manhatten project and best of all inspired me to go back to uni and read for a Physics degree.

"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - R. Feynman

On Feynman's placard at a "legalize marijuana" rally:

"Stupidity should not be a crime!"

In order to prove that future astronauts could relieve themselves in micro-gravity, that is, in order to end the muscle action vs gravity debate, Feynman stood on his head an peed for his friends.

Are you guys sure all this is true?

Everything that has been said is true. Why do you doubt it?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that he is the funniest Physicist ever!

I really wish he were my Physics professor for all my Physics classes. :frown:

Mk said:
Interesting guy, what do YOU know?

Interesting factoid:

If you spell his name incorrectly, it has 15 letters.

:biggrin:

Yes, that's true.

Feynman's first wife died of TB. :frown:

laminatedevildoll said:
Feynman's first wife died of TB. :frown:
And, IIRC, her bedside clock stopped at just around her time of death. And what do you think Feynman thought of that? What else: The clock had always been touchy and the nurse may have disturbed it in recording the time of death. I don't know whether it's true though.

One of my favorite pictures of him: http://faculty.rmwc.edu/tmichalik/images/feynman.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Aww, did you get cut out? :tongue2:

Last edited:
Hm. I can't figure out what to say. I can see how that might be funny, but for some reason, it upsets me. :frown:

Richard and one of his colleagues are talking about a student's calculations, and something is wrong with it. The whole day they try to fix it, but they give up and go home. Then, some hours later in the evening, the colleague gets a call from Richard and Richard tells him that he has solved the problem with the student's calculations.

This all happened a short time before Feynman would undergo a dangerous surgery due to his cancer. A normal person would be concerned whether he would survive the surgery, but Feynman instead works on that problem. He was a true physicist.

laminatedevildoll said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that he is the funniest Physicist ever!
I really wish he were my Physics professor for all my Physics classes. :frown:

Wouldn't that corpsy smell really get to you though?

Sorry

:frown:

I feel kinda rotten now.

Last edited:
inquire4more said:

Sorry

I feel kinda rotten now.
LOL. Let me rephrase it. I wish he were alive. I call him 'Funnyman' too.

inquire4more said:

Sorry

I feel kinda rotten now.

oh touche :rofl:

I love cadavers.

1. Who is Richard Feynman?

Richard Feynman was a renowned American theoretical physicist known for his contributions to quantum mechanics, quantum electrodynamics, and particle physics. He won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics.

2. What are some interesting facts about Richard Feynman's personal life?

Richard Feynman was an avid bongo player, artist, and safecracker. He also had a passion for teaching and was known for his unconventional teaching methods. He was also a member of the commission that investigated the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.

3. What is Richard Feynman's most famous work?

Richard Feynman's most famous work is his development of the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for calculating probabilities of quantum events.

4. How did Richard Feynman contribute to the development of the atomic bomb?

Richard Feynman was one of the scientists who worked on the Manhattan Project, which developed the first atomic bomb during World War II. He was responsible for the theoretical calculations of the bomb's explosive power.

5. What is the significance of Richard Feynman's famous quote, "What I cannot create, I do not understand"?

This quote reflects Richard Feynman's belief in the importance of understanding concepts deeply and being able to explain them in simple terms. He believed that true understanding comes from being able to create or recreate something from scratch, rather than just memorizing or regurgitating information.