Interesting problem with possible solution

• Thread starter StatusX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the problem is that you are given a number and you have to find a number that is divisible by 7. You can do this by crossing off numbers at the beginning or the end, and the number that is left is the number that is divisible by 7.
StatusX
Homework Helper
here's the problem:

You are given a seven digit number. Prove that you can cross off some of the numbers at the beginning or the end and you'll be left with a number that is divisible by 7. For example:

Cross off the first three and last two to get 49.

I have a proof of this and I want to see if it's valid. I'll post it below, but if you want to solve this yourself don't scroll down.

Here's my proof:
Assume that none of the numbers formed by crossing off the last digit and then any number of other digits are divisible by seven. Then I will show that one of the seven numbers left (ie., those which include the last digit) must be. Take any two of these seven strings. They differ by a power of ten times one of the strings not divisible by 7, so their difference is not divisible by 7. Therefore, they are not congruent mod 7. Since all seven of these numbers are different mod 7, one of them must be equal to 0 mod 7. Is this right? I was told I'd have to use the pigeonhole principle, but I don't think i did. And I thought about the fact that it might be impossible that none of the strings not including the last digit are divisible by seven, which would mean my proof is based on a contradiction, and therefore isn't valid. But if that's true, then it implies the result anyway. Is that a valid method of proof? Second question is, how long should this problem take to solve? I got it in probably about half an hour, without paper, just walking around thinking about it. Does speed matter in math, or is it just that you get the final answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was told I'd have to use the pigeonhole principle, but I don't think i did.

You used it here (without realizing it):

Since all seven of these numbers are different mod 7, one of them must be equal to 0 mod 7.

i thought the pigeonhole principle was that if you put n+1 objects into n holes, there will be one hole with at least 2 in it. I put n objects in n holes, and by making sure none went in the same hole, I showed that a particular one of them must be full. isn't that different? and moreover, is my proof right?

i thought the pigeonhole principle was that if you put n pigeons into n+1 holes, there will be one hole with no pigeons in it. Or was it that if you put no pigeons into n holes there will be n holes with no pigeons?

are you making fun of me? I am only saying i don't think its the pigeonhole principle cause I am curious if there's another solution. no pigeons in n holes leaves n holes? that's stupid.

Last edited:
i thought the pigeonhole principle was that if you put n+1 objects into n holes, there will be one hole with at least 2 in it. I put n objects in n holes, and by making sure none went in the same hole, I showed that a particular one of them must be full. isn't that different?

*shrug* Seems like practically the same thing to me.

StatusX said:
i thought the pigeonhole principle was that if you put n+1 objects into n holes, there will be one hole with at least 2 in it. I put n objects in n holes, and by making sure none went in the same hole, I showed that a particular one of them must be full. isn't that different? and moreover, is my proof right?

and if one of the numbers weren't 0 mod 7 then you'd have to assign 7 distinct objects to 6 slots. that is the pigeon hole principle. note mathwonk is reversing the labels of holes and pigeons.

o ok, i was just confused cause i thought the pigeonhole principle was for when you had no idea where the pigeons were going, you just wanted to know that two of them were in the same hole. For example, in a sentence with 27 words, at least 2 of the words (probably more) will start with the same letter. What I did would be like somehow proving every word started with a different letter, and saying that in a sentence with 26 words, one of them must start with x. I'm sorry if that's the same and I'm not seeing it, I'm just curious if there's another solution to this problem.

What is an interesting problem with a possible solution?

An interesting problem with a possible solution is a challenge or issue that requires critical thinking and analysis to find a resolution. It involves identifying the root cause of the problem and brainstorming potential solutions.

Why is it important to find a solution to an interesting problem?

Finding a solution to an interesting problem can lead to advancements in knowledge and technology. It can also improve efficiency and productivity, and address societal or environmental issues.

How do scientists approach solving an interesting problem?

Scientists approach solving an interesting problem by using the scientific method, which involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data. They also collaborate with other experts in the field and constantly review and revise their methods.

What are some common challenges scientists face when solving an interesting problem?

Some common challenges scientists face when solving an interesting problem include limited resources, unexpected results, and conflicting data. They may also encounter ethical dilemmas and face resistance from others who do not agree with their findings.

What are some qualities of a successful solution to an interesting problem?

A successful solution to an interesting problem is one that is based on sound research and evidence, is practical and feasible, and has a positive impact on society. It should also be replicable and contribute to the overall knowledge and understanding of the problem.