Interference from reflections on 350 nm glass plate at 75°

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
necromanzer52
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A glass-plate of 350 nm thickness is free standing in space. At the angle of 75 degrees, relative to the glass-plate plane, a white light point-source is placed. The diffraction (probably a typo, and should really be refraction) index of the glass is 1.33. On the same side as the light source, a screen is placed, allowing the observation of the reflections from the glass-plate.
Derive, explicitly, the conditions for the observation of constructive and destructive interference on the screen.


Homework Equations


I really have no idea, other than; that Snell's law should probably come into it at some stage.


The Attempt at a Solution


I drew a diagram, and I used Snell's law to work out the angle of refraction. I sat still for half an hour, reading the question over and over, trying to figure out what interference had to do with anything in the question.
I really just need to know, where to start. I have no idea how to begin to attempt this question
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, this is just the first part of the question.

Oh yeah, reflections from more than one surface. That's a lot of help actually. Thanks.
I'd ask for more hints, but I have to go hand it in now.