Intergration by parts question from A2 core 4

In summary, the integral of x squared times by two times by sec squared x times by tan x is x^{2}\sec^{2}x - 2x\tan x.
Sink41
I need to find the integral of

(x^2) 2 (secx)^2 tanx dx

said aloud: x squared times by two times by sec squared x times by tan x

I tried to use the [tex] function but failed misserably, hope you understand what i mean from what I've written above.

Physics news on Phys.org
In TeX:
[tex]
\int 2 x^2 \sec^2{x} \tan{x} \,dx
[/tex]
You may have to carry out integration by parts several times before you get an answer.

Last edited:
[tex] 2 \int x^{2} \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} \,dx [/tex]. Let [tex] u = x^{2}, du = 2x dx, dv = \sec^{2}x \tan x, v = \frac{1}{2}\sec^{2} x [/tex].

So we have [tex] \int udv = \frac{x^{2}\sec^{2}x}{2} - \int {x\sec^{2}x} = \frac{x^{2}\sec^{2}x}{2} - x\tan x - \ln| \cos x | + C[/tex]

[tex] \int 2x^{2} \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} \,dx = x^{2}\sec^{2}x - 2x\tan x- 2\ln| \cos x | + C [/tex]

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
[tex] 2 \int x^{2} \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} \,dx [/tex]. Let [tex] u = x^{2}, du = 2x dx, dv = \sec^{2}x \tan x, v = \frac{1}{2}\sec^{2} x [/tex].

So we have [tex] \int udv = \frac{x^{2}\sec^{2}x}{2} - \int {x\sec^{2}x} = \frac{x^{2}\sec^{2}x}{2} - x\tan x - \ln| \cos x | + C[/tex]

[tex] \int 2x^{2} \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} \,dx = x^{2}\sec^{2}x - 2x\tan x- 2\ln| \cos x | + C [/tex]
courtrigrad thanks for your help. I realized i had made a mistake when intergrating the

[tex] \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} [/tex]

bit and differentiated some of it by mistake... anyway got into a big mess. But when reading through your answer realized what i did wrong. btw, not trying to be pedantic, but you made a small mistake when intergrating tanx its

[tex] \int 2x^{2} \sec^{2}{x} \tan{x} \,dx = x^{2}\sec^{2}x - 2x\tan x- 2\ln| \sec x | + C [/tex]

[tex] \int \tan x dx = \int \frac{\sin x}{\cos x} dx, u = \cos x, du = -\sin x [/tex]. [tex] -\int \frac{du}{u} = -\ln|u| = -\ln|\cos x| [/tex]. So its correct.

Last edited:
ah yes forgot -ln|cosx| = ln|secx| sorry.

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve products of functions. It is based on the product rule from differentiation, and allows us to break down a complex integral into simpler integrals.

2. When should integration by parts be used?

Integration by parts should be used when the integral involves a product of functions that cannot be easily integrated using other methods, such as substitution or partial fractions.

3. How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, we use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their respective differentials. This allows us to break down the integral into two simpler integrals that can be evaluated separately.

4. What are the steps for integration by parts?

The steps for integration by parts are:

1. Identify u and dv in the integral ∫u dv.
  2. Calculate du and v by differentiating and integrating u and dv, respectively.
  3. Using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, evaluate the integral ∫v du.
  4. Simplify the integral ∫v du, if possible.
  5. Substitute the values for u, v, and the integral ∫v du into the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du and evaluate the integral ∫u dv.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using integration by parts include:

• Choosing the wrong u or dv.
  • Incorrectly differentiating or integrating u or dv.
  • Forgetting to use the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.
  • Incorrectly evaluating the integral ∫v du.
It is important to double check all steps and calculations to ensure an accurate result.