1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate methods of mathematical physics

1. Aug 19, 2011 #1
    Hi my school has these two courses:

Specific mathematical methods used in advanced courses in physics.
    233. Differential equations, vector differential and integral calculus.
    234. Laplace transforms, Fourier analysis, complex analysis.

There is no indication that 233 is a prereq for 234. However the website sometimes fudges prereqs. Are the topics mutually exclusive? Or do I need to know 233 for 234? Thanks

Also I'm wondering how come physicists need complex analysis but not real analysis? Or will real analysis pop up somewhere, and it's just not specified on any of the physics course descriptions at my college? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Could you perhaps list the topics of the two courses?? I don't think you really need 233 for 234, although you might see applications of 234 that uses differential equations... For example, Laplace transforms are often applied on ODE's.

For your second questions. You don't really need complex analysis either, you just need the applications of complex analysis. So the course could as well be "complex calculus" or something. But I think that most colleges think that by the time you need complex stuff, then you are mature enough to take complex analysis.

4. Aug 19, 2011 #3
    Unfortunately that's the only description they provide for those courses - they use the kreyzig text Advanced Engineering Mathematics, if that helps :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook