Intermittent Fasting: Lose 3lbs in 2.5 Days with Diet Change

• Thread starter skyshrimp
  • Start date
In summary, Bandersnatch suggests that if you are trying to lose weight, you should focus on calorie intake, not what you eat. He also suggests that you should eat lower calorie foods, and that you should not listen to friends or watch YouTube videos about dieting.
skyshrimp
I'm 41 and have had quite a bad diet. Lots of beer and fried chicken. I'm thin but have a bit of a pot belly :redface:

I saw some vids on YouTube regarding intermittent fasting, where people skip breakfast to burn fat quickly. I think the idea is that you burn fat for energy during the morning instead of food. It's supposed to take about 6 weeks to see an effect. There is a more aggressive fast called dry fasting, but I thought I'd try the intermittent version for fun to see what happens. I'm 6'2" and was about 195 lbs 3 days ago.

I started 2 days ago on Monday 16th on only fruit and peanuts. I skipped breakfast and ate 4 fruits and some peanuts (50g) at 6pm. I weighed 194.6 lbs so was 0.4 lbs down. I haven't done a 'no 2' since Sunday morning.

Tuesday I ate 4 fruits and peanuts (50g) at 6pm and weighed 193.4 lbs. That 1.2lbs down. Today I weighed myself at 2pm and was 193.4 lbs. An extra 1.8lbs down. Each time I weigh myself I only wear the same jogging pants and nothing else.

Where did that 3lbs physically go in 2.5 days? :oldconfused:

Biology news on Phys.org
skyshrimp said:
Where did that 3lbs physically go in 2.5 days?

When you burn fat it becomes carbon dioxide and water. The main loss therefore occurred in the form of exhaling CO2 and getting rid of water through urinating, sweating, and humidity in your breath.

Edit: CNN also had a recent article on the subject.

Likes skyshrimp
skyshrimp said:
Lots of beer
I just wanted to note that 3 lbs is the weight of approx 3 pints of beer. Even if you haven't had any beer, specifically, remember that it's easy to lose a few pounds just by taking in less fluids.

Thanks. I'll have a read Orodruin!

Bandersnatch,

I haven't had a beer in April, but I stopped drinking soda on Monday. I was drinking over a litre a day of lemonade so that might account for some of that 3lbs. I actually started this thread in off topic (moved to biology and medical) as it wasn't supposed to stay strictly on topic, as it's more of a random thought. I felt very dizzy at work this morning so ate at 2pm today instead of 6pm. I was talking to a friend today that predicted I would lose muscle mass before losing any belly fat. In fact he said my belly would get larger like you see on starving third world children. The various YouTube results show otherwise. I walk a good 7 miles a day according to the Heath app on my phone.

We really are not able to give you good medical advice here at PF. You really should consider getting advice from a medical professional. Stop listening to friends.

From a pure science point of view:

1. if your energy expended is less than your caloric intake, regardless of chicken, beer, or time of day (all nonsense), you gain weight, eat fewer total calories and you lose weight. Deep fried foods have horrible ratios of good/bad fats, plus they have huge numbers of calories. Fries included. There are such things as good fats.

2. if you actually walk 7 miles per day you expend your BMR (base or resting metabolic rate) in calories plus what you burn walking. Let's do some calculations:
I assume you are 41 years old, your weight = 195. There are approximately 3600 calories in one pound of human fat tissue. Walking uses roughly 100 calories per mile.
Using this formula for BMR, (you can do this for yourself), I guess your height at 73 inches, ran a program I wrote:
C:
// 655 + (4.35 X mass in pounds) + (4.7 X height in inches) - (4.7 X age in years). women  NIH data for US
// 66 + (6.23 X mass in pounds) + (12.7 X height in inches) - (6.8 X age in years). men

$ ./bmr
Help: calculate your BMR basal metabolic rate
usage: bmr pounds height age sex(M or F)
Actual example
         bmr 120 64 70 F
for a woman weighing 120 lbs, 64 inches tall, and 70 years of age

$ ./bmr 195 73 41 M
 For a man weight=195.00 height=73.00  age=41 your BMR (in calories per day)  1929
You need to eat way less than 1929 + 700 = 2629 calories per day. Period.
Example:
2 12 oz beer has ~320 calories
3 pieces of fried chicken (breast: 390 leg: 130 thigh:230) from KFC has 750 calories.
Total 1070 calories just for a "small" dinner, with no bread, no fries.
--- per their nutrition guide: https://www.kfc.com/nutrition

Try to eat 2000 calories max, and you will lose 1 pound per week. Keep walking.
Find other lower calorie foods you like, eat them. Do NOT listen to your friends or youtube.

I am going to close the thread because you need to ask a physician, not PF people, okay?

What is intermittent fasting?

Intermittent fasting is a dietary approach that involves alternating periods of eating and fasting. It typically involves restricting food intake for a certain number of hours or days, followed by a period of unrestricted eating.

How does intermittent fasting help with weight loss?

Intermittent fasting can aid in weight loss by reducing overall calorie intake. By limiting the time frame in which one can consume food, it is easier to maintain a calorie deficit, which is necessary for weight loss. It may also lead to improvements in insulin sensitivity and increased fat burning.

Can intermittent fasting be harmful to one's health?

Intermittent fasting may not be suitable for everyone, especially those with certain medical conditions or on certain medications. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new diet or fasting regimen. Additionally, it is important to maintain a balanced and nutritious diet during the eating periods to ensure adequate nutrient intake.

Are there different types of intermittent fasting?

Yes, there are several different methods of intermittent fasting. The most popular include the 16/8 method, which involves fasting for 16 hours and eating during an 8-hour window, and the 5:2 method, which involves restricting calorie intake to 500-600 calories for two non-consecutive days per week.

Is intermittent fasting sustainable for long-term weight loss?

Intermittent fasting can be a sustainable approach for weight loss, but it is important to find a method that works for your lifestyle and allows for balanced nutrition. It is also important to listen to your body and make adjustments as needed. It may not be suitable for everyone in the long-term, as individual needs and preferences vary.

Back