Polarizability: Understanding its Effects on Intermolecular Forces in Chemistry

• Thread starter Ritzycat
  • Start date
In summary: The higher the polarizability, the stronger the intermolecular forces between molecules. This is because the more easily the charge distribution can be distorted, the stronger the attraction between molecules.
Ritzycat
Not really homework help - I'm studying for a chemistry test on chemical bonding, and I need some answers!

What exactly is the polarizability of a molecule? Can someone explain it to me in more simpler terms? My book is using arcane language that I can't really understand it. What is polarizability's effects on the intermolecular forces between molecules?

My book says "The strength of the dispersion force depends on the ease of which the charge distribution in a molecule can be distorted to induce an instantaneous dipole. The ease with which a charge distribution is distorted is called the molecule's polarizability."

I'm having trouble understand what that sentence is saying

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ritzycat said:
Not really homework help - I'm studying for a chemistry test on chemical bonding, and I need some answers!

What exactly is the polarizability of a molecule? Can someone explain it to me in more simpler terms? My book is using arcane language that I can't really understand it. What is polarizability's effects on the intermolecular forces between molecules?

My book says "The strength of the dispersion force depends on the ease of which the charge distribution in a molecule can be distorted to induce an instantaneous dipole. The ease with which a charge distribution is distorted is called the molecule's polarizability."

I'm having trouble understand what that sentence is saying

Any help is greatly appreciated.

You may find this helpful: http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physica...c_Theory/Intermolecular_Forces/Polarizability
It's essentially the ease in which the electron cloud of a neutral molecule can be distorted in order to produce a dipole moment.

1. What is polarizability?

Polarizability is a measure of the ability of a molecule or atom to form an induced dipole moment in response to an external electric field.

2. How is polarizability related to the strength of an electric field?

Polarizability is directly proportional to the strength of an electric field. This means that a stronger electric field will cause a greater induced dipole moment in a molecule or atom.

3. What factors affect the polarizability of a molecule or atom?

The size and shape of the molecule or atom, as well as the number of electrons and their distribution, all influence its polarizability. Generally, larger molecules with more electrons are more polarizable.

4. How is polarizability measured?

Polarizability is typically measured experimentally through techniques such as Raman spectroscopy or x-ray crystallography. The results are often reported in units of cubic angstroms (ų).

5. What are the practical applications of polarizability?

Polarizability plays a crucial role in many fields, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to understand and predict the behavior of molecules and atoms in different environments, and is also important for the design and development of new materials with specific properties.