1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Internat. Math Olympiad exercise. Weird function.

1. May 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A friend of mine tried to classify for the IMO a few days ago (he didn't do so well). A problem he had to solve was:

f(x + xy + f(y)) = (f(x) + 1/2)(f(x) + 1/2)

I didn't really understand what he said later. First he told me to find the values of X and Y for which this function makes sense, but later I asked him if it said anything more and he told me the domain and codomain were both R, which is a bit weird. As far as I know, the domain is all possible values of X.

2. Relevant equations

I probably misunderstood. I would appreciate it if anyone could tell me what it probably was, and, even better, tell me how to proceed.

3. The attempt at a solution

I got as far as f(x) = -1/2 +- f(x + xy + f(y)) using the quadratic formula... which checks out. My dad says I'm missing information. I don't really understand all this much.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the problem, you are given an identity satisfied by f, and your goal is to solve for f.

I do believe you have misstated the problem, and suspect you have left out information. (e.g. it is not uncommon to include that f is continuous)

I think you have misstated, because there is a contradiction: if you substitute
    x = -f(1)
    y = 1​
    then you get
    f(-f(1)) = (f(-f(1)) + 1/2)(f(-f(1)) + 1/2)​
    However, this contradicts your statement that f is a function from R to R, because the equation t = (t + 1/2)(t + 1/2) has no real solutions.

Also, the problem you stated contradicts what you said you got via the quadratic formula.

4. May 1, 2010 #3
    Thanks for replying.

Right, I'm pretty sure that the function being from R to R is the part that I got wrong. He told me that later in the day(or, at least, that's what I managed to make of the three or so words he said); earlier he had told me to find the possible values of x, which is what I can't do. :/

Oh, and, oops, I meant f(x) = -1/2 +- sq( f( x + xy + f(y) ) ).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook