International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractor

In summary, tractors from the past were much more powerful and efficient than the ones available today.
jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
Why am I so jaded with today's technology and when I see the stuff they made in the past, I feel like a kid in a candy store?

This is a replica of an experimental turbine tractor from 1960. Got more flaws than advantages, but boy, does it look cool!

source: www.facebook.com/jctractors/videos/260711662528508

Likes NTL2009, russ_watters and Keith_McClary
Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like it did not catch on. I'd prefer a John Deere, but then I'm biased because I live in Iowa.

LOL. Once down at the firehouse, my fellow firemen were bragging about their garden tractors. Features, size, power, ... Finally they turned to me and asked, "What kind of tractor do you have?"

I replied, "I have a non-motorized push mower, and my wife pushes it. That keeps her slim and healthy without trips to the gym." :wink:

• Haha
Likes jack action
anorlunda said:
LOL. Once down at the firehouse, my fellow firemen were bragging about their garden tractors. Features, size, power, ... Finally they turned to me and asked, "What kind of tractor do you have?"

I replied, "I have a non-motorized push mower, and my wife pushes it. That keeps her slim and healthy without trips to the gym." :wink:
If someone were bragging about their riding lawnmower and asked me what kind of 'tractor' I had I would likely laugh so hard they would think I had a medical condition.

Dr.D said:
Looks like it did not catch on. I'd prefer a John Deere, but then I'm biased because I live in Iowa.
First I've seen of that! Yes, I was driving a John Deere 4010 back at that time (in Northern Illinois, mostly 'green' country then, maybe still?). But we were open minded, had a little red IH Farmall H as well. Would still be a while before I could get my drivers license though.

Likes berkeman and Dr.D

1. What is the International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractor?

The International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractor is a heavy-duty agricultural vehicle manufactured by International Harvester from 1967 to 1971. It was designed to be powered by a gas turbine engine, making it one of the first tractors to use this type of technology.

2. What is the horsepower of the International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractor?

The HT340 has a horsepower rating of 140, making it one of the most powerful tractors of its time. The gas turbine engine was able to provide high torque and fast acceleration, making it a popular choice for farmers.

3. What are the advantages of using a gas turbine engine in a tractor?

Gas turbine engines have several advantages over traditional diesel engines, including higher power-to-weight ratio, faster acceleration, and lower emissions. They also require less maintenance and can run on a variety of fuels, including diesel, kerosene, and jet fuel.

4. How many International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractors were produced?

There were approximately 1,000 HT340 tractors produced during its production run from 1967 to 1971. However, due to high production costs and competition from other manufacturers, the HT340 was ultimately discontinued.

5. Is the International Harvester HT340 Turbine Tractor still in use today?

While there are still some HT340 tractors in use on farms and in collections, they are not commonly seen in modern agriculture. However, the gas turbine engine technology used in the HT340 has been adapted and is still used in some modern tractors and other heavy-duty vehicles.