1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

International Student- Can I get a scholarship for masters?

1. Jan 14, 2016 #1
    Hello Everyone,
    I am a 3r year physics student, and I am finishing my undergrad in Brazil. But I want to go to Canada to do my masters. However, I need a scholarship which covers my fees and basics needs, otherwise I cannot afford on my own.
    My options are: University of Waterloo, Perimeter Institute, University of Ottawa and University of Toronto.

I have studied at uOttawa for 1 year and a half, I was sponsored by my government, unfortunately I cannot be sponsored again in my masters.

So, I want information regarding my chances of being accepted. I am really afraid, I heard it is very difficult since the fees of international students are way too expensive.

I really appreaciate if you guys can give me any advice.

Do I have to be a A+ student and to have papers published in my major to get accepted?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2016 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Masters degrees in Canada normally come with some degree of financial support - a combination of a stipend and a teaching or research assistanceship. Most schools will post the level of financial support that students can expect somewhere on their webpage, although you might have to poke around a little bit. If you can't find that information, contact the department directly via email and they should be able to give you an answer.

Acceptance rates depend on a lot of different factors. Generally speaking you don't need to have a perfect average and publications to be accepted somewhere, but a lot can depend on who else enters the pool and how many spots are available in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook