International Student- Can I get a scholarship for masters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Bcsantos
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello Everyone,
I am a 3r year physics student, and I am finishing my undergrad in Brazil. But I want to go to Canada to do my masters. However, I need a scholarship which covers my fees and basics needs, otherwise I cannot afford on my own.
My options are: University of Waterloo, Perimeter Institute, University of Ottawa and University of Toronto.

I have studied at uOttawa for 1 year and a half, I was sponsored by my government, unfortunately I cannot be sponsored again in my masters.

So, I want information regarding my chances of being accepted. I am really afraid, I heard it is very difficult since the fees of international students are way too expensive.

I really appreaciate if you guys can give me any advice.

Do I have to be a A+ student and to have papers published in my major to get accepted?
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Masters degrees in Canada normally come with some degree of financial support - a combination of a stipend and a teaching or research assistanceship. Most schools will post the level of financial support that students can expect somewhere on their webpage, although you might have to poke around a little bit. If you can't find that information, contact the department directly via email and they should be able to give you an answer.

Acceptance rates depend on a lot of different factors. Generally speaking you don't need to have a perfect average and publications to be accepted somewhere, but a lot can depend on who else enters the pool and how many spots are available in the first place.