1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

International undergrad summer research (1st or 2nd year)

  1. Aug 31, 2015 #1
    Hello, I’m doing my first year of bachelor degree in physics in Italy and I would really like to get some research experience before my third year. Do you know any (international) summer research opportunity for a physics student who completed his first or second year of studies? I would be ok to do it in any EU country or outside of it. I’m looking for something quite “simple” (even just assist a researcher or student) just to get started and have a research experience in my CV, so I can do something more complex in the following years.

    I know these things are quite common in US, but I checked some US universities websites and in most of the cases it’s necessary to be a student in the US, which I’m not.

    Is there any chance I can find something even if I'm not from the country where the program is located?
    Any information or link is very appreciated

    Thanks a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2015 #2
    Ask at your university. Easiest is to do research on something you had a practical on. If you never did any lab work and if you can't code at all, it will be a lot harder for them to find something you can work on independently for those 6 weeks or so.

    Usually, many courses are in line with the research projects that are going on. So when you did a practical there you can ask the PI/PhD candidate supervising the practical if it is worth it to mail a professor. You will end up working for a PhD candidate or maybe a postdoc anyway.
    If you mail a professor, she/he has to ask the PhD candidates anyway.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook