Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internet culture spells doom

1. May 4, 2006 #1

Internet culture spells doom for strait-laced orthographers

Straight-laced vs strait-laced
    free reign vs free rein
    colour vs color
    honour vs honour

ok sure they are misspelt.

But honestly. What is the purpose of speech and writing? It is the method to communicate or rather articulate meaning.

So if you look at it. If I use free reign in proper context. It wouldnt change at all if the context is exactly the same but you use free rein.

"I give free reign to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction."
    "I give free rein to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction."

One is reign which says soverign power.
    One is rein which says restrain or control.
    But in the context and meaning of the sentance.
    The idea that is being articulated is exactly the same.

I am giving free "control or soverign power of oneself" to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction.

or

"I like the colour blue"
    "I like the color blue"

So seeing as it really doesnt make any difference. Its just stupid to resist change.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2006 #2
    It doesnt make any difference? Says who?

4. May 4, 2006 #3
    Color and honor are not mispellings of colour and honour, they are alternative spellings, and they certainly aren't from the internet age. They're much older than that.

5. May 4, 2006 #4
    other than 1 letter.
    the fact that exact spelling of words can mean completely different things.

Engineer can mean operator of trains or a someone who designs/constructs/manages widgets.

6. May 4, 2006 #5
    fine.

free rein is not a mispelling free reign it is an alternative spelling. starting now.

7. May 4, 2006 #6
    My question still stands. Misspelling words makes no difference says who? I for one am not going to read/buy a book with misspelling in it.

8. May 4, 2006 #7

No, thats a different one. I specifically mentioned color and honor becuse those are regional variations, not time ones. Its been spelled color and honor in the states for longer than I've been alive.

9. May 4, 2006 #8

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Noah Webster?

Regards,
    George

10. May 4, 2006 #9
    well it must be because im on the USA/Canada border. Its moreso correct to use either one.

and the time factor doesnt make any difference. At one point in time. one of them was correct and the other was only accepted as misspelt.

So at some time. This miss spelling was starting to be accepted as being fine.

It just stands. If free reign and free rein are just spelling differences and in context the definition to choose is what makes sense. and the "regional" factor is simply not country/continent based. But rather the internet.

11. May 4, 2006 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I used to live 200 metres from the border, and, everyday looked north from Canada to the U.S. Danger recently referred to doing this also.

I worked for a few years in the U.S. After I explained to one colleague that Canadian spelling is in between British and American spellings, he said "So, do you spell civilization with an s or a zee." I replied, "With a zed!"

Regards,
    George

12. May 4, 2006 #11

What?

I'm talking about color and honor.

Not 'free rein' vs 'free reign'. I was merely pointing out that they are not in the same category as the other entries.

The internet is not a region.

13. May 4, 2006 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who has free reins? I've been looking for some. Need them for the hores.

14. May 4, 2006 #13
    ya i was looking for some reins for my whores also. :rofl:

Again that definition would be one. But it doesnt mean that only 1 meaning is applicable to the words.

15. May 4, 2006 #14
    Why are you trying to change the english language to accomodate those too stupid and lazy to use the proper words?

16. May 4, 2006 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: No, horse!!! But what's in a bit of a spelling error. :biggrin:

17. May 4, 2006 #16
    well thats another thing.

If someone is using the saying free reign. they probably know the correct way. but perhaps they were taught that free reign was rein.

even if they do misspell it because they didnt know the correct way. or made a mistake, or are to lazy to care.

What right do you have to call them stupid? I know for a fact that there are people who speak ghetto RIZZLE my NIZZLE talk. But are intelligent.

Who are you to say ghetto talk isnt proper english? You dont have any right. On top of that. If ghetto is proper, Which you should be conceding to unless you're prejudiced, then anyone else's take on english is proper.

But the difference is. improper english would be english that doesnt demonstrate the meaning.

PS Ivan Seeking
    I was just showing that a misspelling doesnt change the meaning. The context alone explains what the meaning is. So if i use free reign or free rein. it doesnt matter, the context will explain the meaning.

18. May 4, 2006 #17
    Wha? If you were taught the wrong way but later learn the correct way to use reign/rein, yet you continue to use the wrong way, you are both stupid and lazy.

:rofl: I have every right to call them stupid, because they are stupid. If you talk in, and write this down, ebonics, not "ghetto", that's fine in context. If you want to do that as informal speech, fine. If that's the only way you know how to talk, you ARE stupid and an uneducated fool. Hopefully they know how to say 'want fries with that?' properly, though I seriously doubt it.

Last edited: May 4, 2006
  19. May 4, 2006 #18
    the idea of all this is for informal speech and writing.

20. May 4, 2006 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So as long as you think the meaning of all things will be clear to all people at all times, we are done here? :wink:

21. May 4, 2006 #20
    What do you define as informal writing?

P.S informal speech shows a lot about your level of education.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?