Is Internet culture making us lose our grasp on proper spelling and grammar?

• Thread starter munky99999
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the straight-laced orthographers are saying that misspelling words doesn't make a difference, but the free-rein orthographers believe that it does. The internet is not a region, and the free-rein orthographers need reins for their whores.
munky99999
"[URL
Internet culture spells doom for strait-laced orthographers[/URL]

Straight-laced vs strait-laced
free reign vs free rein
colour vs color
honour vs honour

ok sure they are misspelt.

But honestly. What is the purpose of speech and writing? It is the method to communicate or rather articulate meaning.

So if you look at it. If I use free reign in proper context. It wouldn't change at all if the context is exactly the same but you use free rein.

"I give free reign to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction."
"I give free rein to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction."

One is reign which says soverign power.
One is rein which says restrain or control.
But in the context and meaning of the sentance.
The idea that is being articulated is exactly the same.

I am giving free "control or soverign power of oneself" to the middle eastern countries to design and use weapons of mass destruction.

or

"I like the colour blue"
"I like the color blue"

So seeing as it really doesn't make any difference. Its just stupid to resist change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't make any difference? Says who?

Color and honor are not mispellings of colour and honour, they are alternative spellings, and they certainly aren't from the internet age. They're much older than that.

cyrusabdollahi said:
It doesn't make any difference? Says who?

other than 1 letter.
the fact that exact spelling of words can mean completely different things.

Engineer can mean operator of trains or a someone who designs/constructs/manages widgets.

franznietzsche said:
Color and honor are not mispellings of colour and honour, they are alternative spellings, and they certainly aren't from the internet age. They're much older than that.
fine.

free rein is not a mispelling free reign it is an alternative spelling. starting now.

My question still stands. Misspelling words makes no difference says who? I for one am not going to read/buy a book with misspelling in it.

munky99999 said:
fine.

free rein is not a mispelling free reign it is an alternative spelling. starting now.

No, that's a different one. I specifically mentioned color and honor becuse those are regional variations, not time ones. Its been spelled color and honor in the states for longer than I've been alive.

franznietzsche said:

Noah Webster?

Regards,
George

well it must be because I am on the USA/Canada border. Its more so correct to use either one.

and the time factor doesn't make any difference. At one point in time. one of them was correct and the other was only accepted as misspelt.

So at some time. This miss spelling was starting to be accepted as being fine.

It just stands. If free reign and free rein are just spelling differences and in context the definition to choose is what makes sense. and the "regional" factor is simply not country/continent based. But rather the internet.

munky99999 said:
well it must be because I am on the USA/Canada border.

I used to live 200 metres from the border, and, everyday looked north from Canada to the U.S. Danger recently referred to doing this also.

Its more so correct to use either one.

I worked for a few years in the U.S. After I explained to one colleague that Canadian spelling is in between British and American spellings, he said "So, do you spell civilization with an s or a zee." I replied, "With a zed!"

Regards,
George

munky99999 said:
well it must be because I am on the USA/Canada border. Its more so correct to use either one.

and the time factor doesn't make any difference. At one point in time. one of them was correct and the other was only accepted as misspelt.

So at some time. This miss spelling was starting to be accepted as being fine.

It just stands. If free reign and free rein are just spelling differences and in context the definition to choose is what makes sense. and the "regional" factor is simply not country/continent based. But rather the internet.

What?

I'm talking about color and honor.

Not 'free rein' vs 'free reign'. I was merely pointing out that they are not in the same category as the other entries.

The internet is not a region.

Who has free reins? I've been looking for some. Need them for the hores.

Ivan Seeking said:
Who has free reins? I've been looking for some. Need them for the hores.
ya i was looking for some reins for my whores also. :rofl:

Again that definition would be one. But it doesn't mean that only 1 meaning is applicable to the words.

Why are you trying to change the english language to accommodate those too stupid and lazy to use the proper words?

munky99999 said:
ya i was looking for some reins for my whores also. :rofl:

:eek: No, horse! But what's in a bit of a spelling error. :biggrin:

cyrusabdollahi said:
Why are you trying to change the english language to accommodate those too stupid and lazy to use the proper words?

well that's another thing.

If someone is using the saying free reign. they probably know the correct way. but perhaps they were taught that free reign was rein.

even if they do misspell it because they didnt know the correct way. or made a mistake, or are to lazy to care.

What right do you have to call them stupid? I know for a fact that there are people who speak ghetto RIZZLE my NIZZLE talk. But are intelligent.

Who are you to say ghetto talk isn't proper english? You don't have any right. On top of that. If ghetto is proper, Which you should be conceding to unless you're prejudiced, then anyone else's take on english is proper.

But the difference is. improper english would be english that doesn't demonstrate the meaning.

PS Ivan Seeking
I was just showing that a misspelling doesn't change the meaning. The context alone explains what the meaning is. So if i use free reign or free rein. it doesn't matter, the context will explain the meaning.

If someone is using the saying free reign. they probably know the correct way. but perhaps they were taught that free reign was rein.

Wha? If you were taught the wrong way but later learn the correct way to use reign/rein, yet you continue to use the wrong way, you are both stupid and lazy.

What right do you have to call them stupid? I know for a fact that there are people who speak ghetto RIZZLE my NIZZLE talk. But are intelligent.

:rofl: I have every right to call them stupid, because they are stupid. If you talk in, and write this down, ebonics, not "ghetto", that's fine in context. If you want to do that as informal speech, fine. If that's the only way you know how to talk, you ARE stupid and an uneducated fool. Hopefully they know how to say 'want fries with that?' properly, though I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
If you want to do that as informal speech, fine.
the idea of all this is for informal speech and writing.

munky99999 said:
PS Ivan Seeking
I was just showing that a misspelling doesn't change the meaning. The context alone explains what the meaning is. So if i use free reign or free rein. it doesn't matter, the context will explain the meaning.

So as long as you think the meaning of all things will be clear to all people at all times, we are done here? :wink:

What do you define as informal writing?

P.S informal speech shows a lot about your level of education.

munky99999 said:
well that's another thing.

even if they do misspell it because they didnt know the correct way. or made a mistake, or are to lazy to care.

No you don't. Stop lying. And besides, even if you did, its not relevant.

Who are you to say ghetto talk isn't proper english? You don't have any right. On top of that. If ghetto is proper, Which you should be conceding to unless you're prejudiced, then anyone else's take on english is proper.

I'm just going to laugh at the ridiculousness of this part. :rofl: :rofl:

But the difference is. improper english would be english that doesn't demonstrate the meaning.

Improper english would be anything that isn't 'standard english' as per whatever academic definition you like. Does this matter much? No. Dialectic and regional variations are natural. Compare Castellano Spanish to Argentinian spanish to Mexican spanish. They sound different and feature different vocabularies to some extent, just as British English and American English and Canadian English all differ. However from your claim about all variants being equal, then should we still consider Afrikaans to be a variant of Dutch?

So as long as you think the meaning of all things will be clear to all people at all times, we are done here?
Thats exactly what the difference is between proper and improper english.

Proper english:speech or text that makes sense.
improper:speech nobody can figure out for the life of them.

What do you define as informal writing?

P.S informal speech shows a lot about your level of education.
informal writing? oh i dunno. your journal/blog- internet chat, internet forums like this.

and informal speech? i don't know i can do the proper english speech. I can also speak in slang and that aint-shant such stuff. :rolleyes:

No you don't. Stop lying. And besides, even if you did, its not relevant.
this makes me laugh. youre calling me a liar. then end the sentance saying I am not a liar that its not relevant. I give up. my point rests and wins. franz is prejudiced and won't be very fruitful.

informal writing? oh i dunno. your journal/blog- internet chat, internet forums like this.

Well, you can use the wrong words if you want, so long as you don't mind people thinking your an idiot.

munky99999 said:
this makes me laugh. youre calling me a liar. then end the sentance saying I am not a liar that its not relevant. I give up. my point rests and wins. franz is prejudiced and won't be very fruitful.

Hmmm, I need to remember to never try to communicate irony over the internet. Lemme put a post-it on the monitor to remind myself...

1. What is "Internet culture spells doom"?

"Internet culture spells doom" is a phrase used to describe the belief that the widespread use of the internet and social media is having negative effects on society, such as decreasing in-person interactions, increasing cyberbullying, and promoting misinformation.

2. Is there any evidence to support this idea?

While there is ongoing research about the impact of internet culture on society, the evidence is mixed. Some studies suggest that excessive use of the internet and social media can have negative effects on mental health and social interactions, while others argue that it has opened up new opportunities for connection and communication.

3. What are some potential consequences of "Internet culture spells doom"?

Some potential consequences of this belief include fear and anxiety about the future, increased censorship and regulation of online content, and a shift towards more traditional forms of communication and media consumption.

4. How can we mitigate any negative effects of internet culture?

There is no one solution to mitigating the potential negative effects of internet culture, but some suggestions include setting healthy boundaries for internet use, promoting critical thinking and digital literacy skills, and fostering a positive online community through kindness and respect.

5. Is there any positive aspect of "Internet culture spells doom"?

While the phrase "Internet culture spells doom" has a negative connotation, it can also serve as a reminder to critically examine the impact of the internet on our lives and to make intentional choices about our online behavior. It can also prompt important conversations about the role of technology in society and how we can use it for the greater good.