Internships for Applied Physics Majors in CT?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of internships and finding opportunities related to one's career goals. The speakers discuss the internship program at their school, which allows students to work at a company or organization that aligns with their interests. They also mention difficulties in finding internships in certain fields, such as physics and industrial engineering, and ask for advice on approaching potential internships. Some also raise concerns about their lack of practical experience and how it may affect their chances of a successful internship.
Square47
My school has a neat internship program where they will pay a stipend for the summer if you can find an "internship" somewhere related to your career goals.

The nice thing is that it doesn't even have to be a real internship--all that you need is some place willing to let you work for them. Its sort of a make-your-own internship thing, and it means free help for who ever will take you.

Part of the reason my school does this is that its a really quirky, small liberal arts school with an all required curriculum. There's only one degree, liberal arts, and there aren't any electives. The school presents it as an opportunity to get some real career experience, since more than likely, your degree won't have much to do with your profession if you graduate from here.

Now, I'm intending to get into astrophysics, and if I could snag some kind of research assistant position at an observatory with this program, I'd get to try this out, and have a strong addition to my grad school application.

I shouldn't have too much of a problem actually getting the money because not many students are interested in going into the sciences, and the school loves diversity. I might have some problems finding someplace who would be willing to take me in. So I have a couple of questions:

Any advice on how to approach an observatory and explain this rather peculiar proposition?

I figure I'd have a better shot if I ask a small observatory, especially one that doesn't have an REU program, that nevertheless does research. Anybody know of a place like that, or how I might find them?

It wouldn't be as helpful, but what about planetariums? Obviously not research, but could I find something valuable there?

If anyone knows of a particular place that would be down for this sort of thing, I'd love to hear about it. Also, if you a know anything about St. John's College, Santa Fe, I'd love to ask some stuff about that bag of worms.

Much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm looking for an industry internship in Connecticut. I'm an Applied Physics major with about 60 credits under my belt so there's still some time before I graduate. I also have a computer programming background with proficient skills in C++, MATLAB, Mathematica, Fortran and C#.

It's hard finding companies in Connecticut that are looking for physics majors. So far I've applied mostly to companies that are looking for engineers, technicians, and computer scientists. Any suggestions for how to look?

I plan to go to graduate school in applied mathematics. I am looking for internships in theoretical or computational math, physics, or a related field that can be a good precursor for going to graduate school. I am looking to do something exciting but not over the top because I am relatively new to theory and computational work (I am probably first year grad level). Have anyone had good experiences in companies, national labs, or jobs unrelated to research like writing or education? What aspects of the internship are important for my goal?

I have gotten an interview opportunity recently, although it might possibly be a co-op position. However, I'm still confused as to how a co-op is different from an internship in regards to future plans. I tend to think that co-ops are more for people who want to go straight into industry, but frankly I'm leaning a lot more towards graduate school, for which an internship or a research position might be of more use. Am I right in thinking this?

Also, I believe that co-ops generally take up a semester of time, in which I am not a fan of. Is this true?

I also don't have a lot of experience, if any at all, as I'm quite surprised I got a call in the first place. Knowing this is really my first time handling with work-related issues, what should my next steps be? What should I talk about in the interview if I don't have any experience to talk about?

Hello all,

As part of the last semester in high school I am required to do an internship for a couple weeks at a place of my choosing. Even though astronomy isn't my intended major, I've been thinking that I might want to try and intern at an observatory somewhere around me.

I have two questions targeting (probably) different people.

Firstly, has anyone done an internship at an observatory before and if so could you possibly give some experiences or advice regarding the internship?

Secondly, towards anyone who works or has worked at an observatory before, do you think that there is work do be done for an intern like me? I don't mind doing my share of classic intern stuff but I'd like to limit that as much as possible.

Thank you all.

I'm currently an undergraduate Industrial Engineering student and I'm looking for some internship possibilities abroad. That's a struggle since there's no way to tell how it would turn out to be and the international internship sites provide very little info about placements at the initial application phase.

The problem is that at some point I will be asked what skills do i posses and what I want to work with or learn. Here I have no practical skills although I do well with my studies and I really don't know what do I want to work on. That is because I want to learn as much as possible related to my field of studies. I don't know how to be more specific over there.
Actually, I'm just beginning to see what IE really is about and I don't seem to like it. I'm lost but that's the reason I'm looking for the internship in the first place. Is it okay for me to be completely honest and expect to have a successful internship despite the lack of my practical experience?

Please let me know If you have anything to tell about suitable internships in Europe and how to find them.

Hi, I'm in my junior year of Electronics and Communication engineering and I'm doing it in India. I'm thinking of coming to the US in spring '15 for at least the next ten years, and I want my career to be in physics. Since I'm not in the financial position to immediately go to grad school, I want to do an internship in a research institute where I can get exposure for a year or two before I do M.S. I think I have to apply by this August for the good ones, so can anyone suggest good internships/research jobs that will pay? I'm a US citizen so the citizenship criteria will not be a problem.

1. What types of internships are available for applied physics majors in CT?

There are a variety of internships available for applied physics majors in CT, ranging from research and development positions to engineering and data analysis roles. Other common internships may include working in the energy or medical industries, as well as opportunities in government agencies or academic institutions.

2. How do I find and apply for internships in this field?

There are several ways to find internships in applied physics in CT. One option is to search online job boards and company websites for open positions. Networking with professionals in the field and attending job fairs can also help you find internship opportunities. Once you have identified potential internships, you can typically apply through the company's website or by submitting a resume and cover letter directly to the hiring manager.

3. What skills and qualifications are required for internships in applied physics?

To be considered for internships in applied physics in CT, most companies will require candidates to have completed at least two years of college coursework in physics, mathematics, and other related fields. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as proficiency in computer programming and data analysis, may also be important qualifications. Additionally, some companies may prefer candidates with previous research or lab experience.

4. Are internships in applied physics paid or unpaid?

In general, internships in applied physics in CT are paid positions. However, the exact pay rate may vary depending on the company and the type of internship. Some internships may also offer additional benefits such as housing or transportation assistance. It's important to carefully review the internship description to determine if it is a paid or unpaid position.

5. What are the potential benefits of completing an internship in applied physics in CT?

Interning in the field of applied physics can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you develop important skills that are highly sought after by employers. Additionally, internships can provide networking opportunities and may even lead to full-time job offers after graduation. Completing an internship in CT can also allow you to gain experience in a specific industry or company, helping you to make more informed decisions about your future career path.