1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpretation of Isometric Drawing

1. Mar 28, 2016 #1
    I am trying to create a third angle projection of this isometric drawing and for the most part it is very straight forward. However, I cannot figure out where to position a 'circle' of radius 25 to give me the correct curvature that is required for this drawing.

Whenever I locate a circle and then try to connect a straight line to it, I get some awkward connection as seen below where it seems like there is a 'jump'.

Here is the isometric drawing that I have (red is the dimension I'm having issues with):
    4vfn2b.png

Attempt 1:
    Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_12_30_07_pm.png

Attempt 2:
    Screen_Shot_2016_03_29_at_12_30_31_pm.png

Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think your Attempt #2 is the closest to what the iso shows.

In drawing the line between the two circles, you want each end of the line to be tangent to its respective circle. Most CAD programs allow you to specify lines in this manner.

You can't do much else with the side view because the R25 location is so poorly specified on the iso.

4. Mar 30, 2016 #3
    As always, thank you for your help. I went with drawing #2 as there isn't anyway the other is the correct interpretation of the drawing, in my opinion.

5. Apr 3, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The old fashioned way using paper an pencil would be to draw two construction lines parallel to and 25mm away from the lines you are blending together. Where they cross is the centre of the rad.

PS I believe the web should be symmetrical about the 38mm diameter hole as per your second attempt?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted