Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpretation of the distribution of brownian motion

1. Nov 30, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I feel like there's a missing link in my understanding of brownian motion. I'm comfortable with the "method of rice" where the signal is written as a fourier series, and with fokker-planck equations and diffusion. I'm somewhat comfortable with an introductory theory of stochastic processes.

What bothers me is that I can't explain to myself what the distribution of sample paths means. For example, a statistician might want to do inference on an unknown scalar field. They place a gaussian process prior on the field, and from that can get a pretty good fit. I think of a GP as a distribution over functions.
    So brownian motion is a GP, with some added conditions. But if it's a GP, I don't understand how W(t), dW(t), or \int W(t) create a distribution over functions. I can see how there's some probability that the sample path will be in a particular interval (y,y+dy), but that's not quite the same to me.

Help me out?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook