1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting derivatives at a point

1. Dec 16, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How should I interpret the derivative of the following function at C=6%
    ##N = \frac {I} {C} - D##

2. Relevant equations
    ## \frac {dN} {dC} = \frac {-I} {C^2} ##

At I =12 and C=6%, I am getting
    ## \frac {dN} {dC} = 3,333 ##

I am not sure what to make of this large number. I want to be able to say for every 1/100th increase in C, N changes by X dollars, or something like that. The following document, for example, shows one such example.
    http://pblpathways.com/calc/C11_3_4.pdf

How can I interpret the 3,333 figure?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can think of ##dN/dC = -3,333.333...## (not +3,333) as the rate of change in ##N## per unit change in ##C##. In other words, if you were to increase ##C## from ## 0.06 = 6 \%## to ##.06+1 = 1.06 = 106 \%##, ##N## would be expected to undergo a large decrease.

4. Dec 16, 2015 #3
    Thanks Ray.
    I am confused. Let's say, originally I =12, C=6%, and D=75
    As per the first equation N =125
    Now If I changed C from 6% to 106%, N would be -64. Not sure how that change is related to -3,333.

5. Dec 16, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I said the change would be expected to be large; I did not say it would be exactly -3333.3333. The ##r = -3333.333## figure is a rate, which means that for small ##\Delta C## the change in ##N## will be approximately ##r \Delta C##. However, the rate varies nonlinearly with ##C##, so you cannot expect to be able to apply that rate over an interval that is not "small". You can still expect the result to be large, however.

To clarify: if you change ##C## from 6% to 6.1%, you are changing ##C## from 0.6 to .061, so ##\Delta C = 0.01##. You would estimate the change in ##N## as approximately ##-3,333.3333 \times 0.001 \doteq -3.333##. This is not too far from the actual change of ## -3.279##.

The point (which you seem to have missed) is that the large value of the derivative is "misleading" in a way, and has to do with the units you are choosing (percent instead of the actual, numerial value).

6. Dec 16, 2015 #5
    Thanks Ray. Now I get the most of it.
    I still however not clear on the 'misleading' part. I tried to manually calculate the change required in C to get -3,333 times decline in N, but couldn't find it.

If a 0.001 increase in C results in a 3.3 decline in N, what change in C would result in a 3,333 decline in N?

I also looked at this problem using different numbers, for example I=10,000, C=200.
    n this case ## \frac {dN} {dC} = -2.5 ##

So we can interpret that if C changes from 200 to 201, N would decline by 2.5, which makes sense. I am not sure how to interpret the answer for the original problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  7. Dec 16, 2015 #6

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Problem is that the rate of change is a local characteristic, although the rate may be a good approximation in a small neighborhood of the point (unless you have a linear function, in which case the rate of the change is constant). Still, for this approximation you can solve for DC/DN = -3,333.

8. Dec 16, 2015 #7

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No increase in ##C## can lead to a 3,333 decrease in ##N##. Plot the graph of ##N = 12/C## for ##C > 0## to see why.

9. Dec 16, 2015 #8
    Did you mean C < 0 ?
    When I use less than 0 values, I get -ve N values.

10. Dec 16, 2015 #9
    Thanks WWGD
    I am not sure what you mean here. Can you please explain a bit more?
    Thanks.

11. Dec 16, 2015 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If C > 0 but close to zero, a very small change in C leads to very large decrease in N.

I'm pretty sure Ray did not mean C < 0.

12. Dec 16, 2015 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I did not mean C < 0. We start from C = 0.06, and then look at increases (as I clearly stated). You will never get C < 0 that way.

Anyway, if we look at decreases (down from C = 0.06) the derivative predicts a large rate of increase in N. This will keep happening until the system goes crazy by passing through ##C = 0## and encountering singularities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted