Interpreting derivatives at a point

In summary, the derivative of the given function at C=6% is -3,333.333... (not +3,333), which represents the rate of change in N per unit change in C. This large number may be misleading as it varies nonlinearly with C. To understand the change in N, it is important to look at small intervals of change in C. For example, a 0.001 increase in C would result in a 3.3 decline in N. In order to find the change in C that would result in a 3,333 decline in N, one can solve for DC/DN = -3,333, but it is not possible to have a decrease of 3,333 in
musicgold

Homework Statement

How should I interpret the derivative of the following function at C=6%
##N = \frac {I} {C} - D##

Homework Equations

## \frac {dN} {dC} = \frac {-I} {C^2} ##

At I =12 and C=6%, I am getting
## \frac {dN} {dC} = 3,333 ##

I am not sure what to make of this large number. I want to be able to say for every 1/100th increase in C, N changes by X dollars, or something like that. The following document, for example, shows one such example.
http://pblpathways.com/calc/C11_3_4.pdf

How can I interpret the 3,333 figure?

Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:

Homework Statement

How should I interpret the derivative of the following function at C=6%
##N = \frac {I} {C} - D##

Homework Equations

## \frac {dN} {dC} = \frac {-I} {C^2} ##

At I =12 and C=6%, I am getting
## \frac {dN} {dC} = 3,333 ##

I am not sure what to make of this large number. I want to be able to say for every 1/100th increase in C, N changes by X dollars, or something like that. The following document, for example, shows one such example.
http://pblpathways.com/calc/C11_3_4.pdf

How can I interpret the 3,333 figure?

You can think of ##dN/dC = -3,333.333...## (not +3,333) as the rate of change in ##N## per unit change in ##C##. In other words, if you were to increase ##C## from ## 0.06 = 6 \%## to ##.06+1 = 1.06 = 106 \%##, ##N## would be expected to undergo a large decrease.

Thanks Ray.
I am confused. Let's say, originally I =12, C=6%, and D=75
As per the first equation N =125
Now If I changed C from 6% to 106%, N would be -64. Not sure how that change is related to -3,333.

musicgold said:
Thanks Ray.
I am confused. Let's say, originally I =12, C=6%, and D=75
As per the first equation N =125
Now If I changed C from 6% to 106%, N would be -64. Not sure how that change is related to -3,333.

I said the change would be expected to be large; I did not say it would be exactly -3333.3333. The ##r = -3333.333## figure is a rate, which means that for small ##\Delta C## the change in ##N## will be approximately ##r \Delta C##. However, the rate varies nonlinearly with ##C##, so you cannot expect to be able to apply that rate over an interval that is not "small". You can still expect the result to be large, however.

To clarify: if you change ##C## from 6% to 6.1%, you are changing ##C## from 0.6 to .061, so ##\Delta C = 0.01##. You would estimate the change in ##N## as approximately ##-3,333.3333 \times 0.001 \doteq -3.333##. This is not too far from the actual change of ## -3.279##.

The point (which you seem to have missed) is that the large value of the derivative is "misleading" in a way, and has to do with the units you are choosing (percent instead of the actual, numerial value).

Thanks Ray. Now I get the most of it.
I still however not clear on the 'misleading' part. I tried to manually calculate the change required in C to get -3,333 times decline in N, but couldn't find it.

If a 0.001 increase in C results in a 3.3 decline in N, what change in C would result in a 3,333 decline in N?

I also looked at this problem using different numbers, for example I=10,000, C=200.
n this case ## \frac {dN} {dC} = -2.5 ##

So we can interpret that if C changes from 200 to 201, N would decline by 2.5, which makes sense. I am not sure how to interpret the answer for the original problem.

Last edited:
musicgold said:
I still however not clear on the 'misleading' part. I tried to manually calculate the change required in C to get -3,333 times decline in N, but couldn't find it.

If a 0.001 increase in C results in a 3.3 decline in N, what change in C would result in a 3,333 decline in N?

Problem is that the rate of change is a local characteristic, although the rate may be a good approximation in a small neighborhood of the point (unless you have a linear function, in which case the rate of the change is constant). Still, for this approximation you can solve for DC/DN = -3,333.

musicgold said:

I also looked at this problem using different numbers, for example I=10,000, C=200.
n this case ## \frac {dN} {dC} = -2.5 ##

So we can interpret that if C changes from 200 to 201, N would decline by 2.5, which makes sense. I am not sure how to interpret the answer for the original problem.

No increase in ##C## can lead to a 3,333 decrease in ##N##. Plot the graph of ##N = 12/C## for ##C > 0## to see why.

Ray Vickson said:
No increase in ##C## can lead to a 3,333 decrease in ##N##. Plot the graph of ##N = 12/C## for ##C > 0## to see why.
Did you mean C < 0 ?
When I use less than 0 values, I get -ve N values.

Thanks WWGD
WWGD said:
Still, for this approximation you can solve for DC/DN = -3,333
I am not sure what you mean here. Can you please explain a bit more?
Thanks.

Ray Vickson said:
If C > 0 but close to zero, a very small change in C leads to very large decrease in N.

musicgold said:
Did you mean C < 0 ?
I'm pretty sure Ray did not mean C < 0.

musicgold said:
Did you mean C < 0 ?

No, I did not mean C < 0. We start from C = 0.06, and then look at increases (as I clearly stated). You will never get C < 0 that way.

Anyway, if we look at decreases (down from C = 0.06) the derivative predicts a large rate of increase in N. This will keep happening until the system goes crazy by passing through ##C = 0## and encountering singularities.

What is a derivative at a point?

A derivative at a point is the slope of a function at a specific point. It represents the rate of change of the function at that point.

How do you calculate the derivative at a point?

To calculate the derivative at a point, you can use the formula: f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h. This means taking the limit as h approaches 0 of the difference between the function values at x and x+h, divided by h.

What does the derivative at a point tell us?

The derivative at a point tells us the rate of change of the function at that point. It can also tell us the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point.

How does the graph of a function relate to its derivative at a point?

The graph of a function and its derivative at a point are closely related. The derivative at a point represents the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point, so it can give us information about the shape and behavior of the function.

Why is interpreting derivatives at a point important?

Interpreting derivatives at a point is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function at a specific point. It also helps us to analyze real-world situations and predict future values of a function at that point.